Hard top hoist

Deerhunter30

Anyone ever bought one of those hard top hoists? I would like to be able to take my top off from time to time, but it is very difficult by myself. I also need to hang the top from the ceiling in my garage so I can still get my Jeep in the garage with the top off. [addsig]

i would to to rig one up w/ pullys and tow straps that you can put under your top, make sure your celing is up to handeling the weight of a hard top for a few months[addsig]

Well, that hoist they cell on ebay and on catalogues coupld easily be put together for the fraction of the cost. Just use common sense, and you will save yourself $60 (about $40 to build it yourself)-Al[addsig]

I purchased a multiple pulley, rope hoist (rated at 1000 lbs.) from Harbor Freight for this very purpose. Cost: $6.95. Add a few bucks for shipping if there is no Harbor Freight store nearby.

I did add some chain and misc. common hardware to take the weight of the hardtop after it is hoisted to the garage roof rafters. Perhaps another $10.00. I would not trust this hoist alone, or any rope hoist, to take the weight of the hardtop (my guess - 200 lbs.) for prolonged periods.

First time use: back into garage, a few squirts of spray paint on concrete floor to mark position of Jeep tires, then hoist hardtop to rafters, secure hoist rope, and then secure with backup chain safety hardware.

(Note: A prior serving of grog and a rousing rendition of the sailor shanty "Haul Away, Joe" sung at maximum volume while hoisting the hardtop makes the work go easy and usually proves entertaining to family and neighbors.)

When it is time to replace the top onto the Jeep, back into garage, putting Jeep tires on previously paint-marked positions, then lower away.

I use an "X" of web strapping under and over the top to which to attach the hoist hook. The tricky part is to locate the balance point of the hook on those web straps so as to keep the top level while hoisting. If the hoist hook lift point needs fore or aft adjustment, this will become apparent as soon as one begins to hoist.

Works for the frugal Inspector-G.

PS: Remember to remove the nuts and bolts and screws that secure hardtop to Jeep before hoisting. Neglecting that step will also prove entertaining to family and neighbors.
:-D

edited by: Inspector-Gadget, Jul 14, 2003 - 12:41 PM[addsig]

I have one made up that you could check out
it works great and only cost me 10.00 bucks
to build it..... :-D [addsig]

You can do the same thing with some tie downs and ratchet straps! that is what I do with mine. $120 on hoist or $20 in straps HMMMM.[addsig]

JHiggins is right. It would be much easier and cheaper to make your own. I figures $40 because I am using a manual hoist with a controlled revers gear so you can lowe it (1) notch at a time. If you need help, I'm sure there is more than enough people to help you make it. -Al[addsig]

If you have the money, buy the hoist...it looks much neater and more secure than the strap method. I say this b/c mine hangs in our garage by four of the cable straps...they were almost $20 a piece, and I realize now that I might as well have bought the hoist. To me, the hoist looks much more stable, and hangs better, b/c you can get it closer to the ceiling. Sometimes it's just easier to buy the equipment. [addsig]

I bought one, and it is great, and very easy to deal with. I had made my own, with some old bedframe rails, and it worked but kinda unsturdy. Now I have never used the come-along style crank it came with, I use my chain hoist. but it is still gravy. after unbolting, I can have my top off, secured and be out of the shop in minutes, less than five. (damn that carter carb) :cool: [addsig]

Back