Got nailed with vehicle inspection...need fender flares.

Craig

RE: Re: RE: Overflow 88 Cherokee

Hey. Just got nailed at a roadblock checking for unsafe vehicles on the highway and got slapped with a vehicle inspection. Apparantely I need fender flares, mudflaps and new headlights since mine aren't DOT approved. I'm not going to bother with the mudflaps since he forgot to write them down on the inspection notice and I still have my old stock headlights I'll throw back in but I need to know about fender flares. I'm thinking about the Bushwacker cut out flares and I'd like to know if anyone has had any problems/complaints about them. I've heard stories about them not being flexable enough and cracking when you stuff the tire. I've also heard they fade quickley. Any truth to this? Any other recomendations?.....good thing they forgot to look under the jeep and notice my lack of sway bars (they probably would've towed me). Also no license plate light, and no front plate.

I'm so glad I live in such a bass-ackward state like Kansas that only inspects vehicles bought out of state upon purchase only and never again. I wouldn't pass for fender flare clearance. Who knows what else.

No license plate?!? And why not, young man? They'll haul you to jail here for that offense!

rubicon

I have had both bushwackwers and xenon. They all fade, no matter what they say. I like the bushwacker bettter. They look better and if you put the TJ one's on a YJ you'll gain a little fender clearance. They are a little stiffer, but in 3yrs i haven't cracked or broke one yet. And that's slammn into trees and rocks......

Sparky-Watts said:
No license plate?!?
I have a rear plate, just not a front one. I end up ripping the thing off every time I go off road.

Hey yjdave. Are the Bushwacker ones that you have the cut out flares or the ones that look stock, just extended?

That sucks. Move south, the cops wave most of the time and only stop to drool on my Jeep. One even complemented my hydraulic steering.

RE: please help.!!!!!!! cam sensor question

I have always liked the look of Bushwacker Pocket flares on a TJ, but I had trouble with my Bushwacker 6 in pocket flares. One cracked in 2 places, not by hitting a tree or rock which I could understand, but by normal driving. They were under warrantee but Bushwacker would not warrantee them since I bought them on E-Bay. If you decide on Bushwacker flares, be sure you don’t use E-Bay unless you don’t mind the no warrantee clause.

Craig said:
Sparky-Watts said:
No license plate?!?
I have a rear plate, just not a front one. I end up ripping the thing off every time I go off road.

Hey yjdave. Are the Bushwacker ones that you have the cut out flares or the ones that look stock, just extended?

They are the cutout flares TJ flares. If you do buy them dont over tighten the screws. You can rip out the little spacers behind the flare. (use lock-tight). You should be able to see what they look like on my pic....

yjdave said:
Craig said:
Sparky-Watts said:
No license plate?!?

They are the cutout flares TJ flares. If you do buy them dont over tighten the screws. You can rip out the little spacers behind the flare. (use lock-tight). You should be able to see what they look like on my pic....
Hey. I just called about the flares. There's a 2 week wait for the YJ cutouts but they do have the TJ ones which they can bring in from their warehouse but only if I'm interested in buying them. Just wanna get it straight before I order them. They told me there is no cut out flare for the TJ but they do have a pocket style flare for the TJ which looks the same as the YJ cut out flare....is this correct? Do the TJ ones fit the same as the YJ or did you run into any issues with the install. I like the idea of putting the TJ ones on instead of the YJ ones.

RE: Doetsch Tech shocks

To fit the TJ bushwackers you will have to do the same amount of trimming to normal TJ flares. The bushwacker TJ flares suposedly require no trimming to fit a TJ. But for a YJ you know how it goes.

Fuel pump 4.0L swap

Sully said:
To fit the TJ bushwackers you will have to do the same amount of trimming to normal TJ flares. The bushwacker TJ flares suposedly require no trimming to fit a TJ. But for a YJ you know how it goes.
I didn't know you have to trim TJ flares to fit the YJ. What part of the flare do you have to trim?

Re: RE: Re: RE: Got nailed with vehicle inspection...need fe

Ok, so here's another question. I looked at the Bushwacker flares and they looked too flimsy. Just made of thin ABS plastic that'll probably crack the first time I stuff the tire since I don't have bumpstops so I'm gonna go with the Xenon's even though I really like the look of the Bushwackers. The Xenon's come with a TJ style made to fit the YJ. I'm wondering if I should get these or if I should get the ones actually made for a TJ.....I'm thinking that with the ones actually made for a TJ, I'll be able to cut my rear fenders a little wider. Anyone done this and how good of a fit are the TJ flares on a YJ? As I posted above, what part of the TJ flare do you have to trim?

Back