Getting ready for an off-road trip

barlows

Guys,

I've had my TJ for a while and am planning on going on an offroading trip in a couple weeks. I've done some mudding, but there isn't a lot of climbing around town here in Dallas, so I haven't needed much in the way of suspension travel as of yet.

I keep reading about disconnecting the sway bar and track bar to get better travel. I've got 4" of lift (2" body + 2" coil spacers) and have 33s. First, do I need to disconnect the front and rear sway bars, or just the front? Next, will I get any flex improvement from disconnecting the track bars? Same goes here, front and rear, or just one or the other? Also, since I don't have discos for any of this stuff, would it just be easier to leave the track bars connected and worry about the sway bars for this trip?

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I'm really looking forward to this trip.

Steve

i'd leave the track bars where they are at. and just add some discos for the front. you'll get more then enough travel flex with them off.

I know the negatives from removing the trackbar on a leaf spring equipped YJ are minor, but wouldn't removing the trackbar on a coil sprung vehicle make it undriveable?

Yea, Ive always heard that you do NOT want to disco the track bars on a TJ.

Nathan

Ok, so I'll get the front discos. I'll leave the track bars alone. Any point in disconnecting the rear sway bar?

Steve

not really, the rear sway bar is pretty weak.... you may gain an inch or 2 by disconnecting it, not worth the effort. your rear will flex as much with the sway bar hooked up as the front will unhooked - unhook the front.

Back