Gear Ratios?

YJeep

I have a 4.5 inch lift with 33 inch tires on a 91 YJ and I know the ratios have changed. I've seen the reccommended ratio to have it at, but can I change that myself and how would I go about it, or should I take it down to a 4x4 shop? Thanks.
[addsig]

well let me tell you it snt easy and isn't really for the faint of heart, I've done two sets and each in a full shop "you need to have the right tools" and i found a helper makes it go by quicker and easier, if you want my two cents shop around for a place to do.. Of course ou could be that shade tree mechanic who could but really the only reason i had to do two sets was because of my friends thinking they should do the in their driveways on a sunny day...
[addsig]

The basic dope on working on (read in) your differentials: if you have to ask whether you can do it yourself, the answer is no, you cannot. When swapping gears, the tolerences are very minute. You can easily think you got it right, only to have your gears tear themselves up after a few hundred miles. Get a pro.
[addsig]

I've workedd in 4x4 shops for going on 20 years (on and off) and to this day I still HATE doing gear jobs. I try to pawn them off on the other techs, but most of the time they don't want to do it either. I even paid someone else to do mine in my last 4x4. LoL.
[addsig]

i think you'll like this, go to http://www.downeastoffroad.com they have a flip kit for $700 which will give you a 4 to 1 ratio, for your jeep. bob
image-missing.png

Back