GASS Guzzler

meanGreen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys. I'm getting 13.5 miles /gallon now with the 33 x 12.5. It's not that bad, except i'm driving 50 miles on the parkway each day for my commute. I have a set of 31x 10.5 that i was thinking of putting on. I'm just wondering if the gas mileage would be a big enough difference to make the switch. Thanks.

You'll get closer back to the stock rpm range, which is easier on the engine and on gas mileage. Should get you up to about 15 at least. That's pretty poor mileage, you should be at 15 already.

i usually only get 13-15 with a 4banger and 30x9.50's... whats up w/ that?

Yeah I've got the 4.0 w/33x12.50's and if I'm lucky and drive like 55 on the highway I can get like 14-15 but if your like me and have to set the cruise at 70 in a 65 your going to get less gas mileage. Plus I accelerate more than I should from stoplights/stopsigns.

If you have not adjusted your spedo for tire size your mileage will be inaccurate. For example my spedo is off by about 13 mph at 55 so I am actually going about 68. That is will short me 30 miles or so depending on how far I go (usually gas up around 100 miles) when figuring out my mileage. That can make a big differance on 10-15 gallons.

this is all expected when driving a Cinder-block :-D no one here bought their Jeep as a Economicaly sound gas user :lol:

eat_sleep_jeep said:
I only get 10 mpg with 35x12.5 with a 2.5 liter. Hopefully gearing down to 5.13s over the summer to get lower rpm's.
Actually you will loose more miles per gallon if you gear lower4:10-4:88-5:13 since it will take more rav's from your transmission to turn those wheels at higher speeds.
You would need to go the other way like putting 3:56( using 4:10 as a starting point) to reduce your mpg. We regear down or higher depends how you look at it to allow us to climb steeper highs and such.
less strain on the motor to make it up mount Oh my gowd!

ABS

Thats what I thought lower rpm better milage but it is more strain on your engine you use more gas to accelerate I had 35s 3.73s coulnt use fifth now I have 4.56s a little better milage alot more power

when you have the higher gear... yeah you are turning the motor less at any given gear/speed... but you will need to accelerate a lot harder and stay in lower gears longer to reach highway speed.... just like carrying weight, going up a hill, or having any resistance, its gonna eat gas

Back