Fuel Pump

Robschaef

New member here. I did a search and could not find anything.

I have a 96 4.0L Cherokee Classic and I think the fuel pump has gone out. I replaced the relay which has been a problem before. Doen't the Jeep have an eletric fuel pump and you should be able to hear it prime when you turn the key to the on position? I got under the fuel tank and had my wife turn it to on, nothing. Also, if that is the case. Has anyone replaced one? Difficulty? It looks like it would be fairly easy to lower the gas tank on the Cherokee. Never replaced a pump before.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

yeah... its in the tank...

it says in my haynes' manual that "removal of the fuel tank is necessary on 1988 and earlier models" so you *might* be in luck. you may find it easier to drop the tank anyway.[addsig]

Sould it make a humming sound when it primes? I thought that is what eletric pumps are supposed to do and that would be a pretty good indictation that it is gone...[addsig]

yes i think they normally make a hum as they prime up. there is a schraeder valve on the fuel rail that is used to test the fuel pressure. i'd check for blown fuses and then check the fuel pressure... a pressure tester is kinda pricey tho, i'd see if a shop would loan you one before going and buying one (i've seen them for 45 bucks at pepboys)[addsig]

Well replaced the pump and it worked great for about 10 min. Now the fuel pump isn't gettting power. Replaced the relay and checked the fuse. If I take the relay out and put it back in several times, it will sometimes get power for about a min. Any ideas?[addsig]

sounds like you're having a fun time... the only thing i can think of is maybe the relay you bought is bad... kuz it sounds like the relay is causing the problem.[addsig]

Yeah, I replaced the relay before the pump. It turns out the eletrical plug for the pump was not locked and came half way off. I exchanged the pump and put a new one in. Got it running but the fuel pressure is 40PSI and should be 14-15PSI. It turns out the 96 model the pressure regulator is part of the pump, float, sender assemply. No pinches in the return gas line, so I am puzzeled. I am going to take it back out and see if maybe I tighted the pump to tight and maybe that incresed the pressure. I wish the wiring plug had been locked because the first time I was getting 16PSI which I think would be Ok. [addsig]

Does any one have a 96 Cherokee Shop manual? I was wonder if you could check the correct fuel pressure for a 4.0L. The 96 4.0L is different from other years in the type of fuel system it has on it. It looks like from the Chilton's I bought that I have to use a special tool to check the pressure but it doesn't list the correct pressure specifially for the 96. Since it is the only one. If you want to know if you have the same set up as me. Look under the rear drivers side door. If you see the fuel pump yours is the same. The other models have the fuel filter is in the tank with the pump. Your pressure regulator would then be under the throttle body and be adjustable. If your is like mine the pressure regulator is in the tank and not adjustable. Must be replaced if pressure is wrong. I wish I had taken pictures along the way but I got to frustrated after I started. I think I have enough pics to do a how to on fuel pump change for the 96 and I will work on it this week. I will write up a how to on the pump.

The site and my book say that the 96 4.0L is a multi port injection system. It say's that the pressure should be 31PSI but I have 41PSI here is my quandry:

The books and the site refer to models that have fuel return systems. On the others it says if you take the vacum hose of the fuel regulator it will go up to 39PSI. Well mine is the only model that have the fuel regulator in the tank and no vacum hose to remove. Then the books and site say that if the pressure is above 45PSI look for pinching in the vacume and gas lines. Mine have no pinches.

My thinking is that since mine is the only one with the regulator in the tank 39PSI is my normal, and under 45PSI is Ok.

Here is what I have done:

Replaced the relay.

Checked the fuse.

Replaced the fuel filter.

Replaced the fuel pump.

Replaced the fuel pressure regulator.

Checked lines for leaks and kinks.

My thinking is the it is fine at 41PSI and plan to call Chreysler on Monday[addsig]

hi, i have a 96 cherokee classic and--the same fuel pump problems. i took it to the dealership to get repaired. was willing to pay a higher price for the service guarantee, etc., but they have had my jeep for a little less than 2 months. the fuel pump has been replaced 6 times, each time they tell me to come get it, i take it home and then it breaks down and won't start again. i finally called the general manager and told him that not only had i paid $890, but that they were treating me like a tool, and that i wanted to get a repaired jeep back. he said he'd supervise personally. they called me to come pick the jeep up, and as the mechanics, gm, etc. were all watching i got in and tried to start it... and it wouldn't start! ARGH! can you imagine! so they finally gave me a crappy chrysler to drive while they fix it, and told me that chrysler issued a memo in 1997 stating that 1996 jeep cherokees had problems with corroded fuel tanks. they said that all they could think of was to replace the fuel tank. and they were so kind. they said that they will "only" charge me the cost of the part. something close to $300 with tax. so all i can say is that i'm so sorry to have sold my volvo 240, and i am dreaming of the day this jeep doesn't give me a monstrous headache. am wondering whether there is a recall for the fuel tank or pump given the numerous problems. i have found many others who have the same exact problem. please let me know whether you've found a solution or have any advice. and yes, i know i should have taken it somewhere more reasonable for the repair, but given the quality and rep jeeps have i thought it was the most prudent things to do. can also email me at fidelisko@aol.com

[addsig]

wow that sucks... i'd just go to a junkyard and pull a tank out of a 97-01 jeep and clean it up and throw it in your jeep... instead of paying 300 for a new one.[addsig]

Hey- I thought the tank was plastic? My '95 is plastic. How could it corrode?
image-missing.png

As we speak. I'm replacing the #$&* pump in mine; $240 dollars for that tiny little pump- someone's a thief. My old pump didnt work at all- no humming. For kicks, I took it apart, reassembled it and it started working again. >sigh<

I'm curious tho'; this thread is over a month old. How'd it turn out? Did y'get it fixed?[addsig]

i believe it all turned out okay... however, robschaef abandoned this board promptly after his jeep was fixed. what a loser.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

thanks guys, but i think what i should really be doing in the junkyard is leaving my worthless but awesome looking jeep there and getting a honda. so aggrevating, i just called chrysler and spoke with this woman who was just about as rude as can be... she told me with a car 'that age, with that kind of mileage'--is she *&#@! joking--i have a '96 with only 58k miles! i should expect problems like that. i wish i lived in europe, i'd just trade it in for a bicycle and pedal around... also called the chrysler dealer's shop where the jeep has been on and off for the past two months, and no answer. when i do get someone on the phone, however, i will definitely ask how a plastic container (which has been leaking, i think) can corrode.

when the jeeps running, it's awesome. it's a stick shift, and i really enjoy driving it. i used to do repairs on my old volvo 240, but that was an '81 and i had a friend who helped out. i wish i could have replaced the fuel pump myself, but sadly, my friend moved and i would have no idea where to begin. anyone know a good cheap honest mechanic in the washington dc area? (looks like i won't be abandoning this board anytime soon!!) [addsig]

Just picked up my jeep from the shop, paid $280 for the part (they didn't charge me for labor + profit) and it seems to be running well. There is ice all over, and it was nice to be back in a stick shift 4x4!

Linx--the mechanic said that the '96 grand jeep cherokee has a plastic fuel tank (is that true?) but the jeep cherokee has a metal tank. i wouldn't be surprised in the least if i was jipped, but at least the vehicle is running--for now...

the fuel pump/tank mystery is solved for now...

does anyone have an audi?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back