front tires grinding

LilRed4.0L

hey, well i havent been on in a while, but well basically HELP!!!!
my front tires are grinding on frame on the instde when i turn. i have regular165/65 /r15 tires nothing fancy... what can i do to move the tires out so they dont grind?? spacers?? :? i could use some input, any suggestions would be nice. i want to put bigger tires and a lift on it eventually too, but i guess i cant handle the stock tires as it is :roll:

That size you wrote would ba a 23" tire :?

More info, like what kind/year of Jeep, wheels, and the actual tire size (I'm pretty sure you made a typo there)

yea sorry, my tires are 30x9.50/R15 Hankooks, those other tires are off my buddies trunk ..lol..
i have an '89 cherokee laredo 2dr. the tires are Hankook Dynamic Radials
hope it makes more sense

spacers or change the rims.. My GC does that with the same size tire. I don't worry about it though since its only at a hard lock that they rub. BTW: those aren't stock tires.. they're 1" wider than stock.

Do you have the 6" stock steel wheels like these?
image-missing.png

They have more backspacing than the rest of the 5 on 4.5 lug Jeep wheels (the norm is 5.25" BS)

30x9.50's on that particular wheel will rub on a YJ too.

The 30x9.50 is 2 tire sizes larger than stock

Where exactly are they rubbing? Usually the lower control arms are a problem. If that is where they're rubbing then even if you have the 7" wheels, spacers or new wheels with around 4.5" backspacing are your options.

If they are rubbing the inside of the wheel wells at the top then you might want to consider replacing your springs or doing a suspension lift.

Great response, twisted...very informative. And, BTW, LilRed4.0L, nice name!! Mrs. Mud's YJ is named "L'il Red".........4cyl, though. And her 31's rub at a hard lock (the 30's did, too).

Passed over

They're likely rubbing the lower control arms and it doesn't really hurt anything, more of an annoyance. You can adjust the steering stops on the back side of the knuckle to prevent the rubbing, although that will limit turning radius slightly.

The correct fix is wheel spacers or new rims with less backspacing. There's a more complex mod to swap in WJ control arms which are contoured to clear the tire when turned to full lock.

Back