Front end prob

YJMIKEY93

I have had a problem in my front end ever since i blew my rear end and had to use the 4x4 to get home. It only happens once a month or so now, but when i use the 4x4 i get it much more often. I will hear a loud pop noise, like the differential, and the car will jerk to one side violently. When i have it in 4x4 it happens even more, i has been happening on the freakin highway at 50. What could it be ball joints? but it happens sometimes when im just in regular driving. Whats the deal?[addsig]

Sounds like something in the drivetrain, binding up and then cutting loose.

Front axle U-joints pop when worn. Mostly at corners, and low speeds.

Ball joints (or knuckle joints) usually pop, when turning into a driveway.

Transfer chains usually pops, under load, when accelerating or driving over an obsticale.

Pinions usually pop at low speeds (when starting out), and can be catastrophic when they fail (like loose control of the Jeep)

My body is bent a little and will sometimes pop, when the frame flexes in certain ways.

I guess drive shaft U-joints or double carden joints could pop, but they usually vibrate.

Have seen sticky parking brake cables, that cause the rear brakes to stay engauged a little and completely release at odd times.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Yeah i didnt think about that, my body is flexed from an unrepaired accident. So i think it sounds like the drivetrain for sure, it will get worked out when i get the body fixed hopefully, Thanks[addsig]

How far did you drive with only the front driveshaft?

You lost all fluid when the rear slip yoke was removed from the transfer case, so the chain may have stretched. The pop is probably the transfer case chain sipping on the gears.[addsig]

i replaced the sway bar bushings on my jeep recently... fixed my problem (clunking while turning)...[addsig]

Could be alot of things, like bounty said, a loose chain will pop and they do vibrate alot especially at high speeds and then can jump a tooth. But will often pop under hard acceleration, especially in 4X. They sometimes jump two or more teeth, really makes a racket.

If you can, the next time it pops, don´t re-engauge the parking brake for awhile. I had this problem, came to find out the rear cable sheath was full of water (and rust) when it would freeze, the parking brake would stick (a little) sooner or later (probably from the heat) it would cut loose and make a load pop. Found later, my rear brake shoes looked a little cooked. Just something to look at, I like to check the easy things first.[addsig]

it might be your spider grears are starting to go or they are shifing in the housing take the cover off and check they are tight and in good condishon[addsig]

Back