For the geeks - about RealVNC.

southtj

I am trying to set up VNC so that I can help my Dad out when he has computer problems. As that happens often, It would be much easier to do it this way than to drive over every time he can't figure out how to open an attachment in his email.

I haven't installed the server software on his computer yet but I'm trying to get as much info before I go over there. I've been unable to ping his machine so I figure there is going to be more to it than just installing and punching in his IP.

Machines - both are set up pretty much the same except his is XP and I'm 2000pro. We're both on the same cable system, no routers and both use Zone Alarm for a firewall.

I'm usually pretty good at this stuff but I can't seem to find the right info online.

Anyone experienced with this?

Haven't used VNC, but I have spent a good amount of time with pcanywhere, and the windows XP remote assistance. Surprisingly, the windows XP remote assistance is very good, and comes for free with windows xp (your dad is probably already running it). I would go with that before installing more software.

You will have two problems:
1. The firewalls
2. Locating your dad's computer

I'm not sure what ports you need to open on your dad's computer, and that really depends on what app you use. If you use the windows remote assistance, you will have #2 covered, or you could use something like http://www.no-ip.com or just ask him to find his own IP address.

Try that windows remote assistance, if anything, it'll give you and excuse to upgrade your computer.

Re: RE: Antone lose their JEEP?

I got VNC working. Very simple and easy to use. That will save me some wear and tear on the Jeep driving back and forth to his house. :D

I'm too cheap and didn't feel like upgrading to XP, thanks Terry.

Back