Fog Light wiring questions

siminsez01

Come on guys, where are the videos?

So i'm looking to wire in some aftermarket foglights to my 97 XJ that did not have fog lights when purchased from the dealer. My question is if the XJ came prewired for the foglights even though the option wan't selected? (do i just have to buy foglights from mopar that have the correct connection plug). Any help would be great.

Also, anyone roof rack mounted their lights? If so, how'd you get the wire through the roof....just drill a hole?

I am not sure about the fog light wiring but I routed the wiring to my roof racks lights on my XJ but drilling small hole in the door post in between the front and rear doors just under the rain gutter. Panel there was more easy to remove than the headliner to hide wires. I dont know about the newer XJ,s but the older headliners used to sag after a few years it may not be a good idea to take it out and risk damage or possibility of a small leak from hole drilled straight in the roof would not be good either.

Hi,

Older Cherokees came with the fog lamp wiring even if you didn't have fog lights from the factory. I don't know if Jeep still did this on later model cherokees. Basically, what was present was all the wiring except the wiring going from the fog lamp relay to the lights themselves, and the switch. Those were only present if you had factory fog lights. So all you'd need is a rocker switch, and wire to run from the relay to the lamps themselves. :mrgreen:

[edit] now that I think about it further, it was the wiring between the fog lamp switch and the headlamp switch and fog lamp relay that was missing on mine. The wiring from the relay to the lights was present and hidden up in the front bumper. [/edit]

-Nick :!:

thanks for the info guys. looks like the best idea (and coolest of course) will be to mount em on the rack. might also try and mount some reverse lights.

on another note, had some problems with my oil pressure sensor. it stopped functioning and i was freakin out thinking my engine was shot :cry: . luckily i unplugged the sensor, plugged it back in and now everything is reading fine. anyone had any troubles similar with a 4-oh?

so where are you gonna run the wires?? i am planning on some lights and will run into the same problem in the future. my cb cable i just snuck throught the liftgate jamb and along the trim to the front, but i dont think i would want to do that for the lights.

dont drill holes. run them under the seal on the hatch. they wont leak and you cant really tell they are there.

alrighty i just need to get paid so i can get some wire

i see. thats the best way ive found to do it. lemme see if i have a picture...
cant see the wires here
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Hi,

You should only need to run a single wire as the fog lights should be able to be grounded to their mounts (assuming they're mounted to metal which is grounded to the chassis.)

XJNick said:
Hi,

You should only need to run a single wire as the fog lights should be able to be grounded to their mounts (assuming they're mounted to metal which is grounded to the chassis.)

I think the newer factory racks are plastic. when we used to run the antenna wire for XM radio, we found the following to be best. when you sneek the wire into the lift gate jam, pull some of the weather stripping back and you are presented with the portion of metal that secures it, what we would do it drill a hole in that "tab" (bad use of the word but can't think of the actual name) then run the wire through and then load it up with strip chaulking and then replace the weather stripping. never had a problem with leaking!

thats a great idea as well. i just ran mine in between the weather stripping and the "tab" and have no leaks there.

Back