Fish tank?

Yeah, when I got my tank, we thought about DIY...cost is way cheeper, and just the satisfaction of building it yourself. But we just bought one.

It would be wicked cool to have the room in my place to have a huge tank like that. Some day, I will get over 100 gal. when I have my own house, and a dog (a neo mastiff comes first), then the fish...

Good Luck building your tank. And your fry. They should be ok to go back into the other tank when they are big enough that the mollies wont eat them. Should be about 1 inch or so.

building your own tank really isn't cheaper unless you go over 100 gall or so from what i've read.
i got the supplies to build my own stand for the 10G lastnight. it would have been cheaper to buy one (only by a few bucks). but it gives me something to do as i recover. and i can make it how i want it.
it would have been a little less, but i don't have table or radial arm saws.
although if i end up getting a 46G that i saw in the paper (has everything for 150) i might borrow my grandfather's stuff to build another stand.
although i think i need a bigger tank than that.

i had a buddy that was trying to get a mastiff. personally i want an akita.
i really need to build a huge house with a garage that would make any of those guys on tv jelous, and a room that is a people tank (all the walls floor and maybe the ceiling is a fish tank.)

That would be wicked cool, to have a room that's a tank, wicked creative! Would be hard to create, though, no?

Yeah, I need a garage, well I guess a house first..Akita's are wicked cute, when puppies. One came into Petco the other day, his name was Ralph. Fun dogs, too. I want a big dog. My cousin went to Disney, and I am dog sitting here Pembroke Corgi - he is wicked small. He has small dog sydrome. There is this St. Bernard that lives nextdoor, Hector. It's wicked funny, Max thinks he is all big and bad next to Hector, but like runs away when Hector walks...its quite amusing. Well, I'm gettin a little carried away...

good luck on the tank...are you going to put your community fish in it?

no. i'd put completly diffrent fish in there. probably some discus and other large colorful fish. although i'm still debating weather or not to do a salt water tank. i probablt shouldn't though. i won't be able to keep myself from doing coral and all that. with me moving in a year, and the work i need to do on the jeep, i really shouldn't be spending that much money.

oh it turns out the guy at home depot was a 'tard. noe of the wood was cut the same length, and the molding for the sides were cut 4 1/4" to long.
i'll have to borrow my grandfather's radial arm saw and bring the plywood over to cut that next time.

i'm looking at getting a 75G right now. i probably should just get the 46G setup and stop going to pet stores.

Go 75! You can have the discus...which are wicked hard to keep fish. Anyways, you have a MUCH wider variety of fish to choose from the bigger the tank. I don't know about discus in a 46, maybe like 2 or 3.

The Home Depot people here are wicked stupid, too. Just this week the guy tried to tell me, "They don't make stainless steal lock washers." Ok, buddy.

what, what, WHAT????
jack @sses. i thought you had to have experience in the feild to work there. (well in the trade areas you are supposed to anyway. that way you aren't directing people in the wrong direction and doing things against code), but then again if they were licensed and such they probably wouldn't be working there in the first place.

any whoo, my problem w/the 75 is it's 300 w/top and light, 419 w/stand. then 80-100 for biowheel (more for canister), somewhere around 30-40 for a heater, then 60-70 on plants. (i have enough left over for substrate)

verses 150 for the 46G which has everything (a metal stand, so i'd make my own ~$80), but it probably doesn't have a wheel filter so that would be about 60.

so the cost would be around 620 for the 70 or 270 for the 46 (untill i build a stand) plus the cost of fish. so you see my dellima. but i really want the 75.
this is going to take a while.

To bad you don't live near Atlanta. I would give you a fully set up 75 gal Saltwater for a grand. Buy fully set up I mean: Sump Filter with enough BIO to filter a 500 gal tank. Power heads, Live sand, @190 lbs of Live rock a few Corals including a hard to get Neon Finger Leather (these were destroyed by El-nino so they are rare now). 360w Light and 60w Coral light (The blue light that makes everything shine)

:-D much cheaper than building your own I assure you.

Damn, that's a deal!

I see your delemia. That stinks. I work at Petco(part-time), I can get you a discount if you order online I'll help you out. Or try to at least.

im not really into fish tanks but i did use my old above ground swimming pool to hold some really big flatheads i had caught for a couple days, ( had to show em off you know) lol

Back