First Oil Change

mgaron

I am going to get my first oil change on my jeep at 2500 miles. I was wondering if there is anything I should do before or after it. Also what type of oil i should use. By the way Are there any other things that I should do on a routine basis ie. Change gear oil or anything like that.

Thanks in advance.

blockhuggers or shorty headers

There is a suggested maintenance schedule that was included with your owners manual, it should point you in the right direction

more important than what you use is that you stay consistant with the type of oil (reg or syn) and change it religiously.

You have to stay within the guideline of you owners guide for warranty sake. Check what oil you are supposed to use. Your owners manual also came with a place to write down you maintanence schedule. Write it down and keep the book if you are not going to do service at the dealer. If something goes wrong with the motor you might have to show that book if the dealer doesnt recognize you from service visits.

1988 cherokee fuel rail leak?

as others have said previously, there should be a book with the suggested time frames for mainenance. be sure to keep your receipts to indicate that you purchased the necessary materials. we all know of legendary dealership stories and how pleasurable interactions with them can be. congratulations on your purchase.

Ha! The YJ owners who use synthetic are those that use more than they burn (or leak). I use Castrol 10W-40 High Mileage oil. It works fine. Plus I leak about a quart/3 months. :D

C

Personally I waited till the 3rd Oil change to go full synth. I broke her in using plain oil. Finally got to full synth at 9k.

2500 = oil
5000 = synth Blend
9000 = full synth.

Double check the owner's manual on filling the front and rear axles when it comes time. I know the Rubicon has the actuated lockers but is a posi track when in the normal mode. Some posi-tracks require different gear oils or an additive.

Back