Finally got to go wheelin!!

Green97TJ

So ever since i got down here to college ive been wanting to find a place around here to go wheeling. Today i finally did. One of my friends has a friend who took us out, and i had a blast!

Now ill be the first to say, that for most of you guys, this wouldve been lame. But we we're looking for mud and its not rained lately, so not much mud. We did find a little tho. Enough to get the jeep a lil dirty at least :D

As much as i hate to admit this, i did get stuck though and had to be pulled out. It was my fault, not the jeeps (although with at the very least a limited slip in the back i wouldve been ok.. hmm......) There was a fairly long, steep hill with sand for the trail. At the top the sand got deep and the hill got steeper. I really think i wouldve been ok with just a little bit more of a run, but instead i got the jeep sunk in all the way to the transfer case skid plate. The guy that went with me had to pull me out. My poor jeep, pulled out by a dodge with street tires!

We did find one good mud hole, and because i was following him, i had so much mud on the front of the jeep that i had to clean off the headlights tonite to keep from getting pulled over!!

Anyway, it was a lot of fun and more challenging then anything ive ever done before (which isnt saying much, but hey, ya gotta learn somehow) And i learned that i need either a LS or locker in the back.... a couple more inches of height would be nice.... and a whole lot of practice :)

So i just thought id tell yall about my fun afternoon.... hope you enjoyed hearing about it :)

Nathan

Sounds like you had a good time.I am still in search of mud.I guess I wont find any until it rains. :( Sully

Painless Wiring

Tell me about it sully.... there was very little mud there today... but hopefully we'll get some rain soon and then there should be some wicked mud!!

Unfortunately no pics tho..... i didnt think to take my camera and even if i had've i dont have a digital.... but if anybody wants to see them im going to try and get someone with a digital to take some pictures of what the jeep looks like now.... its so pretty when its all dirty :) :D

Sounds like you had a great time. I know what u mean about not being able to find a lot of places to go wheeling. I don't have many spots around me either :(

sounds like a good time... experience will be better than a locker or limited slip... you could have gotten yourself out if you had known when to stop & back out of it.....we've all been there... hell, i got stuck in 6" of water.... (of course i hit the 3' ruts....lol)

True grae... and hopefully experience will be a little cheaper :) haha... if id just started at the bottem with a little bit more of a run at it i wouldve been ok. Live and learn, remember it for the next time i guess. and your right... its all about experience at first. Ive seen people get stuck in wet grass in the back yard!

Nathan

yup... the more you get stuck the more you learn how to not get stuck... i've learned alot about recovery and as a result have a bunch of recovery gear onboard now.... I dont get stuck all that much any more, cause i know when to back out or not try.. but when i do its usually a good one....lol

Exactly!!! I got stuck in the first two mudholes I tried to go through When I went wheelin in Kentucky! We got the recovery straps out and pulled the Jeep out right away. I had a blast and learned a ton about what my Jeep is capable of and what it's not! :lol: We watched a few guys break about 5 tow straps with hooks on them. They tried to use ropes and chains as well. But had no luck until we let them use the recovery straps that we had. I did end up messing my transmission up by taking in too much water so that is my first problem that needs to be addressed before I go back out wheelin. Luckily I ended up only busting the seals. I just need to get a new filter and gasket as well. But I need to do something so this doesn't happen anymore. Definitely a great learning experience!

yea, that is one thing that worries me, messing up the transmission. Can anybody tell me where the vent tube is on the auto transmission? I think theres one on there isnt there? If i can find it and some time ill run a longer tube on it.

Nathan

Not really sure where it is on the TJ. You might want to look on top of the transmission maybe? Automatics are tough to keep water out of them. I have a YJ and I located mine on top of the bellhousing. There is a tube already there so now I am kind of lost on how I got flooded so badly? :?

Wheres the other end of the tube? if it got submerged thats how you got water in it. Im going to assume (i know, that can be dangerous :lol: ) that mines in the same spot, because i think even though you have a YJ and i have a TJ that its the same transmission. Ill look sometime when its dry out.

Nathan

Actually I think you have a much better quality transmission than the crap I have. The tube for mine runs up the firewall side of my engine compartment. I did get stuck twice in some stuff that was pretty deep and watery. But I didn't think it was getting all the way up to the top of the tube. But I could be mistaken!!!!! As usual!! :lol:

Back