finally got a different front bumper

superj

a guy on base put a different bumper on his 93 and had this one on craigslist. i called him and picked it up after work. it looks just like a stock one but the metal is a lot thicker then the stock tj one that came on my jeep, like more then double the thickness. can someone measure how thick the metal is on their stock front bumper so i can compare?

i had to move the license plate over, kind of a bummer. i liked it in the middle. also, no fog light holes so i will have to remedy that too. i do enjoy having all the holes line up so the lights won't vibrate once i do mount them and i also enjoy that the bumper doesn't sound like a tin can when you whack it with something.

new bumper:
2011-02-23181331.jpg

old tj bumper:
2011-02-10162441.jpg

i am a huge fan of stock looking stuff. the only reason the back is not stock is the bumper was gift. i didn't have hte heart to say i was not a fan of that style so its on. i will run it because the guy is a very good long time friend and i care about him and his girl and would hate to hurt their feelings. so now you know why i have a tube bumper on the back

Last edited by a moderator:

Ya the stock YJ bumper is almost twice as thick as the stock TJ bumper, it's weak.

Ya, TJ bumpers are pretty flimsy, has to do with weight and air bag deployment.

Stock YJ bumpers are great, I have bounced around with various aftermarket and homemade bunpers in teh past couple decades, but I always come back to a stock bumper, I just cut the sides off just outside the frame.

i was thinking of doing that. i guess i will have to see what one looks like

Back