engine cleaning

LGR

so under my hood is all dust and dirt..I've never cleaned under it..everything is coated with brown. Whats the best way to clean up the engine bay?

I don't know if it is the best way, but I usually get the motor hot and use gunk engine degreaser at the car wash while using the self-wash bay and low pressure. It's a pretty heavy-duty solvent, so it may have ill-effects on some things under the hood, but I never had a problem.

You aren't supposed to wash your engine according to the carwash owners around here, unless you have the proper recovery equipment to collect all that grease and oil :roll: . I just go at night. I don't really let my engines get that dirty and I don't let oil leaks linger for too long, so I'm basically just washing off dust and mud.

I do it with the engine running, but I let it cool down before I spray it with the water. Gunk makes another cleaner called Foamy Engine Brite, it works great. I spray everything down and let it sit while the engine cools and the cleaner has time to work. Maybe spend a few minutes washing the undercarriage or cleaning the wheels off while I wait. Then I just crank it back up and spray it off, trying not to concentrate the spray on anything electrical or around the air filter.

Strange object in the Cherokee

Gravel lot, water hose, mean green, stiff brush assortment and alot of elbow greese to start with. Then the gunk treament mentioned above, then a engin bay wash each time you wash you jeep to know off the mud oil greese ect befor it becomes a big deal again. Just spen a day and a half cleaning my son Wills ranger under the hood. Geeeez it was bad. but it looks pretty good now. Even seems to run better! tug

A pile of sludge around a motor makes for a hotter running engine. As for doing it while it is running, definately. Nothin' worse than spraying all the electrical connections then trying to start it.

Pop the hood, start it, let it warm up, spray some gunk engine degreaser, spray down the engine area.

I can do it with the engine off and leave it a few days to dry? I really don't drive the jeep during the week, Mostly take it out on weekends. work van is my weekday thing

Back