Dream Machine

redrooster

If you could build your dream trail rig, what would it be?
I like my CJ, but have often thought of selling it and getting a rock buggy. I have also thought about a built and highly modified XJ to include:
new Chevy Vortec 4.2, TH350 auto mated to a 4:1 Klune V, and twin stick Dana 300, Dana 60 front with 35 spline axles and OX locker, Dana 70 rear with Detroit. The suspension would be 4 link with coilovers. I think I would opt for some Trail Ready beadlocks and 42 IROK's to round out the package. Of course it would be a four door model and I would cut the roof off behind the back door and add a custom internal cage.

Hey Jeepz, Pimp my Ride!

Scrambler with a new 4.0L I-6, Atlas 4:1 tcase, and Dana 44 front and Dana 60 dynatrac rear. Coil springs with enough lift to clear 35" Goodyear MTRs. Put a Detroit in the rear and an ARB selectable up front. Hi clearance steering and skidplates for all. Simple, capable, and streetable.

C

A CJ-8, but I can't decide whether I would bob the tail or not. 35 spline Dana 60's front and rear with 4.88 or 5.13 gears....or possibly a custom reverse rotation D44/D60 hybrid in the front to save weight. Atlas highlander Tcase with 3.0:1 low-range and 32 spline outputs, or even a custom D300. 39.5" TSLs on 15x12 lightweight aluminum wheels. For the transmission I would go with an automatic, probably a race-prepped and substantially beefed 700R4 so I could have the 3.06:1 first gear and overdrive. 2,500-3,000 stall converter and a shift so hard that it would crack your neck if you weren't braced for it. For power I like the AMC engines, but I am a Chevy man at heart so I might be tempted to throw in an aluminum headed 502cid GM crate engine and be done with it but since we're dreaming.....I'll take an INDY aluminum head AMC 401 with a solid roller cam in the 290-310 degree duration range. Dry sump oiling with external oilers and the water jackets blok-filled to the bottom of the freeze plugs and rerouted externally. Edelbrock multi-port fuel injection and a crank trigger fired ignition that would be stable up to 7,000rpms.

Not exactly a trail rig, but it would be fun.

redrooster said:
If you could build your dream trail rig, what would it be?
I like my CJ, but have often thought of selling it and getting a rock buggy. I have also thought about a built and highly modified XJ to include:
new Chevy Vortec 4.2, TH350 auto mated to a 4:1 Klune V, and twin stick Dana 300, Dana 60 front with 35 spline axles and OX locker, Dana 70 rear with Detroit. The suspension would be 4 link with coilovers. I think I would opt for some Trail Ready beadlocks and 42 IROK's to round out the package. Of course it would be a four door model and I would cut the roof off behind the back door and add a custom internal cage.

Hey Jeepz, Pimp my Ride!

Mine would be an h2, lowered, dipped in crome from head to toe.... JK

Jeep- XJ, with the HEMI swap dana 60 rear and 44 front, 35 spline axel detriots front and back, 35's, I TOO like the Trail Ready beadlocks, but unlike redrooster, I'd like to keep it street legal. I've always had an affinity for street/trail machines. I too like the 4door with the rear chopped off.

Other- Get my 73 Bronco back, 35" TSL's dana 44 front and back. Had locker in the rear, but would add to the front.

89 yj 4.2 bored 30 over, cam cut for max low end torque, domed pistons, port and pollish, timing gears, larger valves, three angle head job, 4.0 head, LP conversion, high output water pump, marine altinator, torus fan, dual optimas, york oba, 1" mm lift new headers.
SOA, high steer, hydro assist, d300, d44 high pinion front (have tubes pressed out of a passenger's side drop and pressed into the hp housing), d44 rear, 1"bl, new drive shafts, klune v underdrive, full rollcage, line-x the tub, best top aqua sport seats, four pioint harness, 35" nitto tera graplers on bead locks, bullet proof bumpers, rocksliders, warn 9500ti, ox lockers, belly up skid,. i forget what gears and haven't figured out shocks yet.

unlike redrooster, I'd like to keep it street legal.
:lol: What was it about mine that wasn't street legal. Anything goes around here. I don't need no stinking fender flares or cat converter. You guys just need to come on over to the good side. :wink:
Besides there is nothing wrong with trailering. At the end of the day, I know my Jeep is going back home with me.

If I lived in an area where all the bells and whistles were needed I would go all out like most of you all are a staeing. As I do not have a place to ride such a wild Jeep like above mentioned here is my dream Jeep!

YJ 4.0L 5 speed with a few simple mods to the engine. As we are talking dream jeep let's go for a Stroker say 4.5 not to greedy would you say. Aluminum Tub and one piece tilt forward front clip in Kavalar. Rubicon Express 4.5 Extrem Duty Lift with just enough body lift to do a tummy tuck and get it all flat under there. SYE and new shafts. Set of Aluminum Out Law Wheels, with 33" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. Warn 9500 lb winch, Ugly Mutha Pork Chop Front Bumper, and a Warn Swing Away Spare on the rear. Enough lights and electrial up grades to look like a small town when they are turned on. Half hard top with full doors like a Scrambler. All hinges replaced with Stainless cause I like not rusting hinges. A coustom pro. Camo with a clear coat just to be different. Dana 44 front and rear both with ARB Lockers. Posion Spyder tube front fenders, Rock sliders, and rear corners. Oh yes all trox bolts removed and replaced with stainless or S8 through out the jeep. I could go on with the little stuff but I think you get the jest of it. Not that I have given it any thought. tug

redrooster said:
unlike redrooster, I'd like to keep it street legal.
:lol: What was it about mine that wasn't street legal. Anything goes around here. I don't need no stinking fender flares or cat converter. You guys just need to come on over to the good side. :wink:
Besides there is nothing wrong with trailering. At the end of the day, I know my Jeep is going back home with me.

Don't get me wrong Rooster, you're rig is tough, and I love it! I'm just not super duper extreme guy, and wish I had the resources and know how to be so.

BUT, I've just always liked streetlegal jeeps, atleast streetlegal in the sense that you could drive to New York from Seattle for a Jeep gathering and not get harrassed by the Badge. In all the states I've lived, I couldn't have your rig as a driver... that's all.

But you know I like your rig, I've said over and over again. :wink:

82 - 86 CJ7 (ORANGE),fuel injected 4.0,4 spd t-18 transmission,4.88 gears,4.1 atlas t-case,scout dana 44's front and rear with ARB's front and rear,ARB compressor,full cage,warn 9.5 winch,TJ flares,SOA with a 2.5 lift springs, 37 inch goodyear MTR's,cb,sparco seats,5 point seat belts,2 KC's on the front bumper,some kind of belly up skid plate,rockers,tough bumpers for the front and rear,duel batteries(a red and a yellow altima),beafy driveshafts,shackle reversal,rhino lined cab,headers and exhost,some big fat jeepz.com stickers to top to all off.

:D

Sully

my dream trail rig...CJ-5 w/ a HO 4.0 T-18 w/ granny gear mated to a atlas 2 5:1. 2.5 Ton Rockwells w/ 40 Spline Detroits and 5.13's both steering axles w/ hydraulic steering front and rear. Custom Rubicon Express 7.5" Long Arm kit w/ 2" spacer.Poison Spyder front and rear Stinger Bumpers, Flat fender's, About 4-5 sets of Daylighters, 36" tsl radials on Beadlocks and rhinolined tub sorry ive been saving that forever! can anyone figure a price for that!? :roll:

whoo now...easy on go pedal with 36 swamper on a set of rockwells...dont wanna break any axle shafts...lol..i am a big fan of the rockwells tho but i know i will never get ahold of a set. :cry: rockwells come with 6.72 gears factory. :lol: :lol: sweet..

It looked like this:
:(
ByeWhitey-3.jpg

1-1.jpg

Jeepwave-3.jpg

torx size

I changed my mind after riding this weekend. The old CJ did so well, I think I will have my Dream Machine when my 4:1 transfer case gets here. I may also add a fuel cell and push the rear axle back about 8 inches and run a four link with a set of Fox AirShox. That should do it.
I'll put up some pics later in the week.

95 YJ with 4.7L Stroker, NV3550, Atlas II, D44 Front, CHP 9" Rear, 37"-38" Swampers, 4 link suspension. Fiberglass one piece front end with flatfenders, Corbeau seats, Detroits front and rear with 5.13 gears and alloy axles. And far too many other things to list. Also wouldnt mind a CJ2A.

Back