Do I need to regear?

noskils32

OK, I have a 91 YJ (inline 4). I got a body and shackle lift and then got my 33s in today. I got Bridgestone Desert Duelers. I couldn't pass them up. Only $480 for a set of four plus $60 to mount them. What a deal!!! Anyways, I got them on and took tried them out in the mud and grass. There great. Anyways, I got on the freeway and maxed out at 64mph. I assume I was going faster than this but the speedometer is just messed up now, right? The stock jeep had 29s on them I think. So I assume it is the speedometer. Anyways, I smelt some burning at 65 and I was still in 4th gear because I was having trouble keeping the speed up in 5th. I guess this is normal for having too big of tires with a small engine. What is the process of regearing and how much does it cost? I really know nothing about it so pretend you're talking to a five year old. Thanks!

PS: I'll get pics up tomorrow.

Four 30x9.5 tires. 95% tread left. Less than 1500 miles

You were most likely doing 70mph or 72mph. You can change the speedo gear in the transfer case tailshaft to correct the speedo, but don't bother if you're going to regear.

Regearing requires changing the ring and pinion gears in the front and rear differentials. It requires some specialized tools and setup that is better left to professional mechanics. For both axles, parts will be about $400 to $500 and labor anywhere from $300 to $600. We've got a local jeep mechanic that does it on the side cheap, maybe you can find somebody.

Yea, I got a mechanic that specializes in Jeeps that did my lift. I will ask him I guess. The next thing I gotta do is replace the gas filler hose. It has a huge leak in it and when I put gas in, half of the gas ends up on the floor. After a couple more paychecks, I will work on getting it regeared. I'm down to $25 in the bank after the tires.

What about the burning smell though? Could that be caused by the lack of power or should that have nothing to do with it. The enging temperature was normal.

That smell was the smell of lost gas milage! The power is gone so is the MPG. that is just a fact of life with a big tire on a small engin. Regearing is more costly than lifting and tires. The lift guys sales adds never mention that point. Its just the price we pay to play. That was the biggest reason I finnaly decided to let my ol YJ go when I had an offer to buy. Had so much money in a 87 YJ that I just could not see keeping her and putting another thousand to fifteen hundred in her. Had she been a bit newer like yours yea maybe. My ol CJ now is just not going up to far in lift or tires. I have been out on the local trails and have done some of the worst with my 235's and only turn back when it gets really rough. That is why you ride with others so we can work together to get over the rough spots. Going to rearch the springs at a local spring shop "All 4 removed rearched add a leaf and re installed for 225. bucks" and "yea I know they will sag again someday but so will the new ones" just put on some agressive mud tires 31x9.50 and call it done. This is with a 258. I just want to put as little money into it as I can get by with. Heck I can not get into 5th gear now with stock tires! Then again it is a 4 speed. Good luck in your regearing! tug

noskilz,you most likely lost 5th gear,thats why you have no balls up there.Once you re-gear,you might get it back.My friend is running 35's on his TJ with 3.73's.It is a dog,he is regearing to 4.88.And a dana 44 rear end.LOL,His 35 makes so much noise with those big 35's. :p Sully

Ok, so, if the speedometer says I am going 64, how fast am I really going? I have a 91 YJ with 33s now. Anyone have a calulation to figure this out? Just want to know so if I see a cop I don't think that I'm safe just because my speedometer says I'm going under 65. I assume I'm going like 72-74 but I really have no clue. Thanks.

Flooding Out

You're doing about 70. Borrow a GPS that has a Speedo on it, my Magellan 315 does. It's very accurate.

Back