disribuer leaking oil

jbh7052

Hey guys I need some advice!! I have 82 Scrambler with a rebuilt 258. Got rid of all smog junk and wires and vacuume lines as well. I am running a comp cam with 450 lift inttake and I cant remember the exhaust lift and since I am not at home to check the spec sheet we will move on. I decked the head .030 and am running a motor craft 2100 carb. Engine only has about 500 miles on it but it is pushing oil up the distributer shaft and into the distributer housing. Not just a little but enough it runs out the hole in the botttom of the dizzy housing and onto everything under the hood. Anyone ever seen this before?? It is running 60lbs of oil pressure but that shouldn't matter I don't think.

Last edited:

Check your crank case ventilation valve. Also, if the distributor shaft is worn out, the oil will definitely seep out the distributor.

Thanks for the help! Crank case valve you refer to is the PCV valve right? if so it works fine. I can suck air through it with my mouth and it rattles. The dizzy does show signs of wear but did not mic it so see how much wear in the shaft. if most wear was in the shaft bushings and not the actual shaft i guess a guy could put in new bushings and reinstall the original shaft. Orielly's has a new dizzy for $49 if the bushings dont fix the problem. you wouldn't happen to know the side to side play that is allowable or factory specs for clearance on the shaft to bushing do you? I appreciate you thoughts on this because i love this jeep....my grandpa gave it to me and it only has 54,000 original miles on the jeep. i have rebuilt the motor,transmission,front and rear with new 4:10 gears and carriers and bearings but cant drive it for the nasty oil leak. 7 miles of dirt road makes it a mess when the oil comes out at this quantity.

Back