Decisions, decisions. . .

SenorCole86

Ok, here's the situation:

For my high school graduation, my parents decided to pay for the parts to fix up my Jeep as a present. Thing is, they think lifted vehicles with big tires are for rednecks and will only pay for parts that return my Jeep back to stock condition. :roll: So, I'm faced with a pretty tough decision. Here are my options:

1) Let parents pay for new stock suspension which would bring mine back to stock height, and then save for an ARB in the rear, one piece shafts, 31's(good idea??), a good ring & pinion with 4.11, and engine mods.

2) Buy my BDS suspension, a lunchbox for the rear, 33's, not so good ring & pinion, and no engine mods.

3) Let my parents buy the upgraded parts and act surprised when they come in.

I think it finally comes down to how well a stock CJ-7 will perform off-road. Also, the stock setup will make things easier as far as driveline angles go. Soooo, what do y'all think? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

RE: Re: RE: New Jeep owner--- stuck @ 2000rpms...

Tell'em the previous owner lowered it and you need to lift it 4" to bring it back to stock hight.

OR you could just have them give you some money for graduation then you could go get your lift for it. just a thought

LR

I'd also see if they could just give you the money that they would otherwise spend on Jeep parts.

Or keep trying to get them to pay for a lift and all the other good stuff you want!

RE: the wave

I had a similar delima only last week. Ask them to give you the money they would have spent. This way you can get exactly what you want. My dad doesn't even like my jeep and hates the idea of lifting it. But he couldnt deide wut to get me so i told him give me the money instead. Now im getting a 3.4" Black Diamond lift and 31" BFG AT's. Trust me it works. Goodluck
Mike

3.5" RE Flex Kit vs. 4" Skyjacker Standard Series

OR you could just have them give you some money for graduation then you could go get your lift for it. just a thought

That was the first thing I thought of and they said no. Soooo, how about a stock CJ with a good locker and engine? And anybody know where I can get a kit which would bring me back to stock height and still flex well?

Clicking when I push my clutch petal in, 97 TJ

i got a deck for my car that was on slae for grad, costed like 100$ and it took them till november of the next year to give it to me... i think it was going to be a christmas present but then i started talking about buying myself one so they said that this was my late grad present... i wish my parents would buy me stuff for my jeep :(

RE: 3.5" RE Flex Kit vs. 4" Skyjacker Standard Ser

SenorCole86 said:

That was the first thing I thought of and they said no. Soooo, how about a stock CJ with a good locker and engine? And anybody know where I can get a kit which would bring me back to stock height and still flex well?

How badly are they going to scrutinize the purchase? I don't think the cost of buying stock hieght suspension and a slightly lifted hieght is that big of a difference in price. They'd never know if you lifted it 2" or so.

Maybe you can enlighten them on the fact that new springs tend to be "Taller" than old springs, and that the 2" lift will eventually "Settle" to stock height.

But if it were me, get the engine running right most importantly. What's wrong with it?

RE: 3.5" RE Flex Kit vs. 4" Skyjacker Standard Ser

I don't even know if you can buy a kit for stock height... You can certainly buy the individual springs. I actually have one that's stock height and only a year old. I put a lift kit on this winter. If you end up buying piece by piece, let me know, maybe I can save you some money.

But if it were me, get the engine running right most importantly. What's wrong with it?

Well, there really isn't anything wrong with the engine, it's just starter and ignition problems.

I talked to my father last night and he made a deal with me. He could buy a lift kit and I would pay the difference between the price of the stock kit and lift kit. Seeing as how a stock kit would have to be bought piecemeal, I imagine they would be right around the same price.

Back