damp YJ floor

wahooyj

I have a ’95 YJ that has a problem with persistent dampness on the passenger side of the floor board. I read on the web that this can be caused by a leak under the dash which can let in water from the rain or car washing. In my case, however, I have no leaks and the dampness develops all the time. Also, I’ve heard that it might be caused by the AC drain hose not being properly inserted to its connecting hole on the floor (I checked this as well). I even checked the rubber drain plug under the carpet.

I’m thinking that the AC is the culprit here. However, what really puzzles me is that I don’t even use the AC at all! Could it be that one of the AC hose is leaky? I checked all connections and they all check out. I did notice that some black tar-like material has built up around one of the connections. With not knowing too much about ACs, could the mystery liquid be the refrigerant? I don’t smell anything funny (or is it odorless). I noticed that the dampness gets worse when I drive my jeep.

Any help would be appreciated. :-D [addsig]

sounds like it may be a leaking heater core. do you smell anti-freeze?[addsig]

A/C system refrigerant turns into a gas when it comes in contact with air. Also, the evaporator won't produce water unless the A/C is running. So, as olyeller said, it is most likely a slight leak in the heater core.

-Nick[addsig]

Well Welcome to the board and these guys' will
get you fixed up...and since you don't use your
A/C I would say heater core.... :-D [addsig]

The floor in my YJ is damp. Oh wait it rained yesterday and I was topless :lol: [addsig]

BTW the black tar like substance is insulation for the A/C lines that attempts to keep the keep the heat in before it passes the exspantion valvue and turns into low pressure gas and cooling the evaporator coil.[addsig]

my heater core went on me last winter... the floor was wet, and when I turned on the defrost, the dash would blow out a "steam" that would make my whole jeep, well, steamy! Mine didn't smell much either, and if it IS the Heater Core (which gets my vote also) it will get worse at time goes on... it's a job you can probably do yourself.. good luck![addsig]

Man, that doesn't sound too good. if that's the case then I have antifreeze on my floor! I can't tell if the smell is sweet or not (i gonna compare the smell with the radiator cap w/o getting high off of it) ;-)

Does the heater core always circulate fluid even when the heater is off? Or, does it work off of a regulator valve like the engine thermostat? My thinking is, if that's the case, the heater core will leak more if the heater temp is max'ed out. Also, is the location of the heater on the passenger side (which would explain why only the passenger side is damp)? How much would it cost to replace this?

Sorry I have so many questions. I picked up a used YJ about a month ago and am learning a great deal about these little tanks!

Thanks...[addsig]

I'm not too up on the YJ's but I know the core in my CJ is always circulating. The heater box regulates the temp by redirecting air flow around the core.

My CJ used to leak like a sieve from the dash. Even fried a nice stereo. I sealed around the windshield and cowl but that didn't close the flood gates. I finally crammed my head under the dash with the hose running over the windshield. Turns out that all the water was funnelling through the screws that hold on the fresh air intake cover. A gobb of silicone on each screw hole and everywhere else I could find put a quick end to it.[addsig]

I Surely hope that that heater core isn't as tough as an 85 Camaro to change out. :-( if it is . . . then I will keep my thoughts out for you.

That Damp pass side floor board is usually what happens. As it gets worse it will start to puddle. Then you have more issues. Like, if you don't fix it and don't pay attention to your coolant levels you burn up your Jeep. [addsig]

i had the same problem in my 94 yj....what causes this is very simple....open your hood and on the outer firewall youll see a hose...near the middle of the jeep... all it is, is a drain hose for the intake vent (its about 1inch in diameter and gray) ... and when you go wheelin' you get mud dirt leaves etc in it and the hose clogs up...un clog it and im sure the problem will be fixed .....call 1-800-654-5337 9 to 5 m-f and ask for daniel if you have any problems finding it

edited by: SkinWalker, Jul 16, 2003 - 04:12 PM[addsig]

I may be totally off here, but this is just a thought. You say you dont use you AC, but do you use your defroster? Cuz doesnt the defroster use the AC? In which case you DO use your AC without even thinking about it. Like i said, i may be wrong, but its just another thought

Nathan[addsig]

I can't speak for the TJs, but the YJ's AC unit is completely separate from the defroster, so when the defroster is on, the AC doesn't get activated. In fact, as I understand it, the AC has dedicated blowers, which doesn't share its air ducts.

I haven't had time to troubleshoot my problem in detail (busy work week), but I think the heating core might be the culprit here. I'll post my findings once I do my investigating.

Thanks everyone for your comments! You guys are awesome. :cool: [addsig]

Just got my 88 its been leaking all over found the 2 major leaks were some broken welds on the side where 3 panels come together. still have one when i spray water directly in the cowl fresh air intake on hood, comes out from behind dash...checked drain hose its workin but dont know.[addsig]

I'll have to look at mine. I thought the lines ran to the underdash unit. Mine was doing the same thing before I pulled the engine. I didn't worry about it because I ripped out the carpet and the drain plugs.

Back