Cracked exhaust manifold on a 4.0L?!?

K-Phat

OK so I just picked up a copy of the Nov Four Wheeler mag and they have a section on upgrades and one of them is about upgradeing the exkhaust manifold on the 4.0 Jeeps. They say that the engines have a design flaw(s) and that it almost guarantees failure at some point. They even said that one of their project Wranglers blew out the manifold at just 48,000. The thing I want to know is if anyone has ever had this happen to them before or heard about it before. Plus if this is true shouldn't Jeep do a recall on there 4.0s? Now that I've read this I'm now thinking about upgrading my manifold instead of getting a winch :?

It happens on most of the 4.0L engines. A friend of mine complained to DC Customer Service enough that a dealership changed his out for $50 out of pocket.

They can be welded, but should be professionally done and oven-tempered to prevent more cracking. Find a welding shop that has a lot of experience welding manifolds, especially boat manifolds since they crack more often.

How can you tell if the manifold is cracked? Does this apply to the 4.0 YJ's as well? I bet DC will blow it off as just a common problem with Jeeps.

My cracked two weeks ago and now i have to do a repair with like next to no money, so i'm going to replace it with SS Headers and just fix the problem for a while.

My exuast manifold cracked at about 75k miles. you can hear the air coming out of the crack while the engine is running, its especialy loud with the top on. I took it out and had a welding shop fix it up. took about 3 hours to get it out and 3 more to get it back in.

Dont do what I did, It was fixed for a while than cracked again. Best thing to do is Replace it. I now have to take it back out and buy all new seals (again) for my new one. Any suggestions on a new header brand, I was looking into Borla or Gibson, but im not sure.

Banks Torque Tube 399.00 Well worth it wont crack nice torque gains. I put this on mine the week I bought my jeep. Dont repair it it is a waste of time. It is sorta difficult to install if you dont know what to do. I had my dad to help me. Make sure you seel up the gasket right or you will have a vaccum leak and you will idle at 3000 rpm

fuel problems in my cherokee

Hey guys thanks for the quick replies. Sounds like this does happen to the 4.0s. Guess I will have to put the winch on hold for a bit. Four Wheeler mag suggested going Borla in there article and that is the way I think I'm going to head. In their article they said it takes between two and three hours to change out. Later.........

Back