computer codes

jnelson

i have a 92 cherokee laredo, 4.0 and have a 91 chiltons manual. i need the codes for a 92 to try and solve a alternator/battery problem.

the computer flashes 41 which states a ECM problem in the 91 manual. is it still the same code for 92?

i have checked the voltage output on the alternator and it show 31.4. is this correct? what should the voltagle output on this alternator be in the range of?

anyone, anyone?
image-missing.png
[addsig]

code 41= Alternator field not switching properly

'84-99 Haynes repair manaul

[addsig]

The voltage at the battery terminals should be around 14 volts with the engine running. Autozone and similar stores will test alternators - maybe worth a try to verify if that's the problem. Good Luck.[addsig]

31.4 volts sounds like, you have the meter switched to the wrong scale or you are reading the wrong scale or maybe you have it switched to A.C. and are getting an erronious reading. I have seen run away regulators in the Delco before, typically put out about 22-24 volts, which will burn out most of your light bulbs and electronics. (Not a good idea to test voltage or run the motor much with the battery disconnected). Like the man said, around 14 volts DC is normal with the motor running and the battery connected. Could be a bad diode in the alternator and your meter is reading AC current. If your meter reads about 9-11 volts DC it´s an indicator of a bad diode, which really isn´t dangerous, but doesn´t do a very good job of charging up the battery.[addsig]

Back