Clutch adjustment

Rebel_Frontier

Hello all!

So I just put a new clutch set in my 98' TJ the other day, the only thing I didn't know was how to adjust the clutch pedal. Right now it feels real spongy and soft. I read somewhere you have to bleed either the master cylinder or the slave cylinder. Anybody want to shed some light and possibly help me out with this? Any help is welcomed. Thanks!

image-3686354446.jpg

i think with a hydraulic clutch, you cannot adjust the pedal.

i would say spongy is indeed air in the fluid so google up bleeding (if you are by yourself, probably have to gravity bleed) and hit it up after work

If your master cylinder had failed, you would be able to press the pedal all the way to the floor, but the clutch wouldn't operate. It is more likely to be the slave.

We replaced a friends slave cylinder last fall on his 94 yj and we had to pump the clutch like a thousand times and bleed it like you would the brakes. I googled how to do it, and it said you had to pump it several times because the air is harder to get out than it is with the brakes. check that your clutch fluid resivoir isnt to low under the hood.

We sat there and tried bleeding the clutch for about 30 minutes. At first you could hear the air leaving, then it stopped. Thing is, clutch wasn't building the pressure as it should when you pump it. Only thing the jeep does is turn on lol. It won't go into gear. My pedal is so loose you can smack it with your hand and it bounces around. Since its not building pressure it's more than likely the master cylinder. I did end up buying both master and slave just go get everything out of the way lol. Ill be installing them today, wish me luck!

Before you tare into the master, look around the clutch resivor under your hood. We ended up replacing his because of the same problem you are having, his resisvor was leaking fluid down his firewall, it was a small leak but prevented us from bleeding the system. After replacing the resivor it bled just fine. Not saying its your resivor, just something to look at before tareing into the master.
Good luck, seems like you just got this jeep and are doing alot to get it back on the road.

Before you tare into the master, look around the clutch resivor under your hood. We ended up replacing his because of the same problem you are having, his resisvor was leaking fluid down his firewall, it was a small leak but prevented us from bleeding the system. After replacing the resivor it bled just fine. Not saying its your resivor, just something to look at before tareing into the master.
Good luck, seems like you just got this jeep and are doing alot to get it back on the road.

I've actually had this jeep for about 3 years now, I recently rebuilt her transmission, dropped an engine from a 99 Cherokee into her, replaced basically every sensor the engine and transmission need, from thermostat to crank shaft sensor. New clutch system, radiator, hoses, et cetera. This jeep is running at almost like new conditions with 250,XXX miles on the odometer lol. I ended up replacing master and slave. Clutch is working fine, but it seems a little too stiff and is still a little difficult to get it into gear. Any ideas?

Dont know about the pedal pumping or just pressing it down. Seems like you would have to work the air out somehow unless it just gravity bleeds. When we did my friends, I googled how to bleed it and it said to just pump it, and the internet can't lie, lol. Dont know why it would still seem hard to get into gear either. hopefully others more familiar with the TJ can help out more than I can. Good luck man, I know you have put a lot of time and probably money too into this jeep. hope you get it going soon.

Back