Clicking Sound When Coasting in Neutal

macheca

I've got a 1975 CJ5 with the 258 engine, T14 3 speed transmission & T20 Transfer Case. I've been hearing a clicking sound when I coast to a stop in neutral. Everything operates as it should, gears shift in and out without any issue.

My speculation is Throwout bearing or Snycro's?

My 91 YJ does the same thing and everybody says that its a wheel bearing or maybe brake caliper. I don't know.....I'm curious myself.

Have you checked your tires for rocks? I know it sounds silly, but I thought my brakes were wacky for some time before I realized that there was a good size pebble in my tread that would click with every rotation.

I have drums all around and it only does it in motion in Neutral.

You can check your wheel bearings by driving down a curved road and listen for noise changes at your tires as you go left or right. Your bad bearing will be the noiser outside tire. Keep in mind you'll want to do this at moderate speeds, 25-35mph. If you can't find a curved road, you should be able to get similar results by doing slight left/right steering down a straight road. If you have big lug tires you might not be able to hear any difference.

Picking up stuff in the tires is always a good place to start, but my problem goes away once I'm in gear.

Back