chinese jeep?

dptyrob

Has anyone here ever heard of a jeep manufactured in China in conjunction with AMC. I've been talking with a guy who says he has a mid-late 80's jeep that was manufactured in Beiijing in conjuncture with our American Jeep folks. He says it looks something like the old WWII jeeps. He's been unable to find out anything about getting parts or part interchangeability. If anyone has any ideas on this, please drop me a line. He's piqued my curiosity about this as well. If anyone wants to contact him directly, his email address is kyle@highlandsproperties.com. He's also selling a couple of cherokees that I posted in the classified section. Really nice guy.

After WWII, and later after Vietnam, there were abandoned military Jeeps left all over the world. Imitations popped up in lots of countries. I'm not aware of any joint efforts between AMC and any of these foreign makers. There are still "knockoff" flatfender Jeeps being built in other countries today, if I'm not mistaken. With China now being our bestest friends :roll: , it should be fairly easy to find out exactly what it is and how to possibly get parts.

AMC did have some authorized and joint builders in Mexico and Australia, but I think that was just the car lines, and not the Jeep. I'm no expert on AMC history, but I have looked at the pretty pictures in a couple of books about it.

Well......I know what a CJ-3B is........but what about the Chinese rig? AMC didn't even build the REAL CJ-3B, that was Willys. If he has one of those built in China, especially in the 80s, it's a knockoff and not a Jeep.

Mitsubishi made some in collaboraton with jeep, I saw an article on them in a Off Road Adventures. My wife made me throw out my collection of them and they're gone. But they did have an article on this. It had a Jeep grill with a tiny mitsu symbol on the top in the middle. I THINK they had a replica engine, but don't take that as a fact. Try www.oramagazine.com for more info.

Back