cherokee with ratching pop, clunk sound

tripletsjeepin

hey all,

I have an 88 cherokee that i just recently got, i have done a ton of work to it all ready to get it to pass emissions ( vacuum issues) but I can't seem to find a poping in the rear end area, I pulled the axles out and check them and they looked fine - no signs of them slipping. I also disconnected the shocks and anti-sway bar but the problem still is there. It seems to happen on hard turn and hard take offs. its the worst on rough terrain. I am just really frustrated at this point and wanted to see if anyone in here has seen or heard of this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks everyone[addsig]

did you check the yulk in the rear end?????or maybe the u-joint??????just a few ideas....let us know what you come up with
:-O [addsig]

It sounds like you have a locker in the rear end and for a lot of them that is a normal sound. What is inside your rear diff?[addsig]

Well after extensive testing (drivng on and off the curb) with three guys listening from under, on top and from side to side. We summized that the pop sound was coming from the left rear leaf pack, I pulled the tire and tightned the "U" bolt good and tight with my impact and ---- Voila!!! the noise is gone. Thanks for all the help guys I was afraid that this was going to cost me an arm and a leg. [addsig]

Back