Cherokee purchase, what model is best?

newjeep

Hello all, I am new here.
I am looking to purchase a used Jeep Cherokee. My only interest is reliability. Below are some questions. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1. What was the last year for the Cherokee?

2. Was ABS standard or an option on later model Cherokees?

3. I have heard about wiring problems with some Cherokees, any of you ever experience this?

4 Are the shift points in the automatic transmission controlled by the PCM? (what years?)

5 Is the DIS (distributorless ignition system) a reliable system?

6 Any problems (year models, transmissions, electronics, tranfer cases, differentials etc. etc.) that you know about?

7. Anybody tried any of the multi-year service manuals listed on ebay?

Any reply to the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to jeepz.com, you've come to the right place. I'll try and answer a few of your questions.

Option

3. I have heard about wiring problems with some Cherokees, any of you ever experience this?
Only wiring issue I've seen is the BUS connector where the guage cluster connects to the wiring harness. DC has issued a TSB for it and the dealer will often fix it for free/cheap. It's a simple fix. Symptoms include the guages going dead and the airbag light coming on.

4 Are the shift points in the automatic transmission controlled by the PCM? (what years?)
The shift points are determined by the TCM (Transmission Control Module) that is located behind/beneath the glove box. It receives info from the TPS and gear selector and works in conjunction with the PCM.

Yes.

6 Any problems (year models, transmissions, electronics, tranfer cases, differentials etc. etc.) that you know about?
Not really, important thing there is maintenance.

No. Spend the $85 or so for a real FSM for the year of vehicle you purchase. It'll be worth it if you do a lot of the work yourself.

If you want reliability I'd suggest the 4.0L and not an old V6. The 2.5L 4 cyl is good to, but no where near the power of the 4.0.

Bounty pretty much covered the rest.

I had a 2000 cherokee sport for 4 years and the only maintenance I needed to do was oil changes and 1 new set of tires. I was very happy with it.

Re: Where Have Been a few Jeepz members?

I just bought a 2001 Cherokee sport last october with 25k miles, and it has brought nothing but joy to me ever since. Highly suggested. (don't let those wrangler nuts talk you into joining their cult...lol)

-j

RE: safari top for YJ

My '00, with the distributorless ignition sys, and the I-6 has been nothing but a pleasure to operate and own... I keep up on it's maintanance, and it has never let me down, at least, not through any fault of it's own (do NOT run over shredded tire if you can possibly avoid it, it can shred important wiring)... I love it very much, would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for vehicle... My buddy has a '95 Cherokee... Engine block cracked due to drive from Southfield to Madison Heights with no coolant... New block, everything else original, just a block swap... Runs smooth as if it just came off the showroom floor...

RE: Re: Cherokee purchase, what model is best?

Oh yeah, and the automatic transmission that comes with the newer I-6, think it's the AX-15 (help me out here), is the most flawless and sound transmission I have ever driven... No slipping, no thumping, and I have run it through the wringer and back in the subsequent 2.5 years, 55,000 miles... I don't think you could kill it if you wanted to, but that's just me...

RE: Re: RE: Frankiefire

There is no other auto transmission than the AW4. The newer Jeeps have a better shift plate (shift kit?) on it.

The last year of the mighty Cherokee was 2001. I have the 2001.
ABS is standard on all Cherokees after 2000. It can easily be removed via a couple of fuses. Earlier cherokees have an ABS option.
I have never had any electrical problems with any Jeep. My 1995 had no electrical problems at all. The only electrical problem that seems to affect most cherokees is the loss of the parking lights while the headlight switch is engaged. For those of you with that problem, I suggest you look at your wiring harness, the wire tends to get corroded. quick and cheap fix.
All Jeeps with the AW4 auto follow the shift points in the TCM. I did a fix on my TCM to allow me to have a "manual" on my auto! Haha.
VERY reliable. No fouled wires. Every spark plug gets a 100% charge and its waterproof as well. No wiring and no electrical leaks.
None at all. Just maintain your Jeep well!! If you plan on modifying the suspension or whatever, the rule is that ALL vehicles will have some kinks that have to be fixed. EG: If I lift my Jeep, I need new longer shocks, and stuff to alleviate vibes.
I strongly recommend the Haynes manual. Or if you have a buddy that works in a mechanic's shop, they can hook you up with one of their manuals. Those manuals are the GOD of how-to books!

If you do get a cherokee. I applaud you for making a wise choice. Words of advice: bring it to a local body shop and have them check the body BEFORE purchase in order to confirm that it is not rusted out or in any accidents.

RE: Looking for advice/tips

IcyFridge said:
ABS is standard on all Cherokees after 2000. It can easily be removed via a couple of fuses. Earlier cherokees have an ABS option.

I have a 2001 and it does not have ABS. i think you need to research this one a bit more....... thanks

Back