cherokee overflow tank leak

irishsetter48

My 1989 jeep laredo is leaking coolant at the overflow tank. I switched my overflow tank cap (working correctly) from my 1988 cherokee and the overflow tank still leaks. Can I assume the overflow tank is bad and needs to be replaced? The temperature gage is working and not showing overheating. No warning lights are on. Thanks for your help.

Hi,

Are you saying it is leaking out of the hose connection(s) or from the cap?

-Nick :!:

XJNick.
Thanks for your quick reply. It leaks from the cap, but the cap is new about 2 months ago and works fine on the 1988. Any ideas?

The cap is a pressure relief style on those systems. When it leaks, how much coolant is in the tank at the time, 1/4 full, 1/2 full? Either the cap is defective or too much pressure is building up. I had a cap go bad, and not keep enough pressure last month. My rig started running in the 210-215 range. I installed new cap, and found all of the hose clamps going to the tank a little loose and gave them a twist. Fixed the problem imediatley.

Good luck

Hi,

It is possible that the coolant bottle's cap threads (which are plastic) have deformed just enough to not seal properly due to heat and old age. If a new cap won't solve it, you'll probably have to replace the bottle and cap as a set. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Had a hair line crack (in my 88 ) near the filler cap (hard to see), replaced the surge tank with my spare and a few weeks later had a crack in the same spot. Finally looked up and noticed the imprint of the tank lid in my hood liner. Looked in the 87 no problem, cleared fine?
Think I´m gonna figure out a way to lower the surge tank mount/bracket, before I install a new surge tank.

Back