Check Engine Code or..

TJ_Jeep

Well my check engine light popped on today, so i was gonna do the hold on the button down and turn the key 3 times, well as i was doing that i noticed when the key was off, 2.4 displayed. I dont know if that was the code or not. ive never heard of a code like that. Any help is appreciated

I thought on TJ's you don't hold any button. Just turn the key three times. Holding the trip odometer and turning the key on and off 3X checks the gauges.

Maybe 2.4 was your trip reading on your odometer? You don't hold anything in, just turn the ignition on and off rapidly then it will flash on your odometer without you having to do anything. By the way, I'll bet $5 that it comes back as an O2 sensor fault :).

Jason4x4 said:
Maybe 2.4 was your trip reading on your odometer? You don't hold anything in, just turn the ignition on and off rapidly then it will flash on your odometer without you having to do anything. By the way, I'll bet $5 that it comes back as an O2 sensor fault :).

No I have 362 on trip. This was with the button pushed in while key was turned off. It doesn't show anything unless the key is off. It couldn't be the o2 sensor because I have an o2 simulator

Are you sure you're going all the way off and on and not just toggling between on and accessory? Just trying to come up with an explanation. I just went out to my '06 TJ and if I turn the key on, wait till the odometer comes on, then push the button above the ignition and turn the key all the way off, then on, all the way off, on, off and on again, it displays "done" on the odometer (since I'm not pulling a CEL at the moment). Also, if I hold in the trip button and then turn the ignition off it says "06-02", whatever that means.

Edit: In your video you're not turning the ignition on first, maybe that's your problem. I have to turn it on, wait for the odometer to light up, then go off on 3 times to get it to work.

Sometimes I have to do it 4 times. It doesn't always work for me the first time with three turns.

Are you sure you're going all the way off and on and not just toggling between on and accessory? Just trying to come up with an explanation. I just went out to my '06 TJ and if I turn the key on, wait till the odometer comes on, then push the button above the ignition and turn the key all the way off, then on, all the way off, on, off and on again, it displays "done" on the odometer (since I'm not pulling a CEL at the moment). Also, if I hold in the trip button and then turn the ignition off it says "06-02", whatever that means.

Edit: In your video you're not turning the ignition on first, maybe that's your problem. I have to turn it on, wait for the odometer to light up, then go off on 3 times to get it to work.

I go to unlock position, then on. accessory is all the way back, I'll go out and try exactly what you just did.

I've tried everything all i can get is a gauge check or 2.4

Well. You could stop at Autozone, Advanced or Oreilly's and they will check your codes for free.

Well. You could stop at Autozone, Advanced or Oreilly's and they will check your codes for free.

I've gotta go to the dodge place tomorrow to give them the extra key to my dads truck (computer burnt out, long story) ill make them look at it since there charging us 1500 dollars on a warranted truck thats only 2 years old :roll:

They'll likely charge you like $75 to put it on their reader. The others are free.

I could be completely wrong, but I would guess that the 2.4 (and the "06-02" that I'm getting on mine) is some sort of revision number for the software in the ECU. It makes sense that if that is what you're seeing that it's not the same number as mine because yours would be a pretty early version ('98 model) and mine would be one of the last revisions ('06 model). I wouldn't be too worried about that, I would be concerned about why you're not getting a code to pop up.

And for what it's worth, I've never had any luck getting autozone or any of those places to check a CEL for me. They always tell me they can't do it for some reason.

If prior to the 2.4 it shows "soft" , that's the software calibration number on the instrument cluster.

what is your engine size? on bmws, you can get hte displacement in liters on the obc when you push a certain set of buttons a certain way. maybe this is dodge's way of doing it?

what is your engine size? on bmws, you can get hte displacement in liters on the obc when you push a certain set of buttons a certain way. maybe this is dodge's way of doing it?

I have the 4.0

Back