Changing Gear ratios

LadyGator

I am having problems with the 4 banger bogging down in mud. Too much tire for the small engine. I want to redo the gears. What is yalls recommendation? I don't want to rebuild the engine because it does not get much on road use , mainly a hunting buggy. Thanks in advance.

If I am not to far off base here you are most likely running 4:11 gears now and a 4:56 would be nice. Help me you number crunchers! I am pretty sure if you could find a six cylinder jeep that is down and out you could take the rear and front out and just do a swap as cheap if not cheaper than a re gearing mess. I might be wrong but I think that was the answer.

Quick question how did the snorkle hold up in the woods. also could you send me a break down on how you built and attached the air box atop your carb? How and where did you place the air filter? I hope to build up something this winter and you did such a fine job. tug

GCL waterpump replacing

hey Tug, i think the 6 cyls normally have higher gears from what iv seen. i think its becouse it has a little more power than the 4 cyl, i have 3.73 in my 4 banger and all my friends that have jeeps with 6 cyls have like 3.07 or a little lower.

Ive got 4.11's and 33's.But I have a 6cyl.For your 4 banger,4.56 or maybe even 4.88.

IF you have 4.11 gears, I recommend 4.88 gears. Going to 4.56 is just not enough of a change to warrant the cost and time.

Tug, the I-6 jeeps have taller gears so that's not an option. It only works to swap 4banger gears/axles into the I-6 jeeps.

Yep, gotta go to 4.88's if you want to get some torque back. It's expensive, but much cheaper than installing a 350. Remember, with an engine swap you gotta swap the transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, and axles if you want to handle the new torque appropriately.... that's way more expensive than a set of 4.88 gears.

C

Remember, with an engine swap you gotta swap the transmission, transfer case, driveshafts, and axles if you want to handle the new torque appropriately.... that's way more expensive than a set of 4.88 gears
Exactly, That is why I don't want the engine swap. Gears will cost enough, and for what I use it for there is no need in a new engine. Thinking about getting posi traction too. Oh yeah. Other than that the jeep runs great, snorkel works great. Have only had to wench myself out once, but it was black clay mud. Understandable even for a Jeep. thanks for the input guys.

you probably wouldn't have to do anything to your jeep as long as you removed that huge bumper on the front. that's what bogging you down. but seriously, in my provincial scope of jeep knowledge-its gotta be the gears. i've got about 12,000 miles on my warranty then i will start tinkerin as well-don't mean to come off as an as*.

Back