Change to synthetic oil?

clacasse, your jeep has over 70k mi on it. If it was well maintained and you keep up regular maintenance on it you don't need any snake oil to keep it running. Keep the oil changed, tune it up when needed (plugs, distributer cap & rotor, pcv valve, etc) and your jeep will keep on keepin' on for a very very long time as long as you don't have any problems with it now. If you treat your vehicle right it will treat you right. It's a time proven philosophy.

I would be wary running a full syntetic oil in a engine with a high amout of miles on it. The synthetic oil does not have the same viscosity as natural oil and will not coat the cylinder walls as well as natural oit due to the amount of wear on the walls, and rings. I would recomend a blend as oposed to a full synthetic. I was lucky enough to have a low mile motor and a change to synthetic was easy.

Well said Twisted copper , and JPS, I agree.

Jackal :lol: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rear Diff Oil

most 1st generation Neon's did have head gasket problems up until those built after 11/98. they used the new MLS gasket starting in 11/98. But not all have had the problem. Some blew at 15-30k others 80k or more and then others have never had any problem. But this is a Jeep board so I'll stop the off topic talking and say a little research tells a big story

If the synthetic detergent didn't eat the gasket up how doyou explain the motor being spotless after 80,000 miles. The mechanic told him he had seen it before with synthetic being put in an older motor.

Also I saw him the other day and asked him about it, and he said it was a DODGE OMNI and not a NEON!!!!! Now are you going to recite dates about history of OMNIs.

Jackal :lol: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oil is not going to "Eat" a gasket. While it may have already had a leak plugged by sludge built up in the engine that the synthetic would have cleaned out. Synthetic will clean out all the sludge, and a leak will appear only if one was already there but plugged by the sludge. This is the common misconception to synthetic oils that they "cause leaks". Simply untrue. Plain and simple the so called "mechanic" is an idiot that knows nothing about synthetic lubricants. I have worked in the mechanical field for several years and have done my own looking into synthetics. I have saw first hand a change to synthetic engine oil cause a 3hp gain on a dyno. I would call that reducing friction. Less friction=less wear. I wouldn't use but anything but.

BostonJeep said:
what about 67k, if i changed, blend or pure?

You shouldn't have any problems other than what I mentioned above. If you do have any leaks, you will find them because synthetic will clean away all the sludge. Synthetic does not sludge up like conventional oil. As for blend I wouldn't waste my time with it but I will say its gotta be a little better than no synthetic at all

Since all of this discussion, I gave Whitey a once over and noticed she's now leaking oil @ the valve cover gasket. That's an easy fix but I hope that is the only problem I encounter. I guess switching to the blend was not such a good idea after all, I'm glad I didn't use straight synthetic. I'm going to switch back to the good old oil that kept happy the engines of my father and his father before him! I should have remebered the golden rule: If it ain't broke, don't fix it! (of course, if it ain't broke you can still modify it!)

Why be upset about a leak? It was a problem that was already there it was just hidden. It would have eventually shown up anyway. It was already broke so fix it.

That's the beauty of oil, it's self maintaining (JK). 8) Seriously, though, this is getting outta hand. Simple fact is synthetic will cause leaks to leak even if they weren't leaking. When oil isn't leaking there is no leak, right? I hope the companies producing these don't get mad that this information is leaking out! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

hmmm well lets see. Sludge build up is not good. Clear away the sludge and and you start seeing leaks. That would tell me I had a problem anyway and it needed fixing. Whole case in point you shouldn't need sludge build up to keep the oil in your engine thats what the gasket is for. if the gasket by itself can no longer keep the oil in then you have a problem....its called a leak

Does not! Does too! Does not! Does too! Does... anybody see a pattern here?

Sorry everybody that I continued to keep this volley alive. :oops:

:idea: To each his own.

If you would actually do some research and learn something then maybe you would stop spewing the untruths that you do. The only pattern I see is someone to ignorant to learn about what they are talking about.

jeepin_madness said:
If you would actually do some research and learn something then maybe you would stop spewing the untruths that you do. The only pattern I see is someone to ignorant to learn about what they are talking about.

EEEEEEEEEEEASY NOW!!!

just bought a 94 jeep wrangler and i have a few questions

What about Slick 50 or Dura lube? Any good?

Need new brake parts...

HEHEHEHEEEHEEE

Good old Oil debates!! 8)

NOW you want to add mystery magic in a can solutions to the debate??
:roll: :roll:

Just change your oil regularly.

cptdan said:
What about Slick 50 or Dura lube? Any good?

If you do use an oil additive Lucas oil stabilizer or the stuff red line makes are the best the others are just snake oil. I forget what the chemical is called but they take it out of oil for it to meet the new govt specs. Taking this chemical out does more harm than good to an engine. Lucas & red line are the only ones who have this chemical in their oil additives. Just wish I could remember what its called??

CJ power stearing

Everyone has anecdotal evidence for this and that, everyone knows that crazy guy who has an '82 CJ with 500 K miles on it who drives to work 70 miles up sand dunes both ways 5 days a week and only changes his oil once a year with non-detergent recycled SD 30 :wink: . However, here is a good page with lots of quantitative information about various oils and synthetics:
http://yarchive.net/car/oil_facts1_2.html

Back