Can't shift Jeep in to 4 wheel drive

stewartd

Help!!!

I have a 1994 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. The only modification I've made is to put in a Posi Lock system because I thought that is where my problem was. Turns out I needed new shifting fork in the transfer case. I'm still having problems shifting into four wheel drive. If I "mess around" with the high low 4x4 shifter I can finally get it into 4 wheel drive but it takes a while and a little luck. I'm thinking it's in the linkage, but after reading my Jeep manual 100 times I still don't understand their process.
So my question is what is the correct process to adjust the linkage and is there anything else I should be checking?
Thank you,
dennis

Last edited by a moderator:

Dennis:
I moved your post here (into it's own thread). You'll probably get more help this way.

Also - Welcome to Jeepz.com.

I think it's best to shift the jeep into 4low and adjust the linkage there.

Once the shifter is in 4low, disconnect the linkage at the transfer case, removing the flat linkage bar that's attached to the transfer case with a 9/16" nut. Then verify that the transfer case is in fact in 4low. If it's not in 4low, you can manually shift the transfer case by placing a 7/16" (or 3/8") box wrench on the shift pawl protruding from the side of the transfer case. Once the transfer case is in 4low you can adjust the linkage as necessary to reconnect.

Other than what is typed above, there really is no external (or internal for that matter) point of adjustment on the NP 231. a little grease slapped onto the leaver joints to assure that there is not binding due to friction will help. If you are still having issues with the shift leaver, the issue might be in the Range box of the 231. The only real way to know for sure is to pull the case out and split it and inspect the internals.

Thank you for all the help....................fixed!!
Come to fine out there were two problems:
1. The transfer case linkage wasn't adjusted right so the front drive shaft wasn't
turning.
2. The Posi Lok system also needed to be "adjusted" because the front
wheel weren't locking in. I was able to turn the cable at axle about half a turn
and that took care of that that.
I did put the Jeep up on blocks so I could easily see if my adjustments were making necessary changes.
Thanks again,
dennis

Back