Buying New Shocks?

captjanes

i am not sure how to go about buying new shocks. i have a 4 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift. so hwo do i know the size of shock to buy for the rear.. would i need a shock for a 7 inch for the rear and 4 inch for the front.. some one fill me in and recomend me for some good long lasting shocks. i was thinking about rancho is these ok and what size to i buy for front and rear. thanks mitch.

Body lift doesn't affect the suspension in any way (and if it did it would be the same all around, not just in the rear). You need shocks for a 4" lift all around.

correct me if i am wrong but how can you say that body lift dosent affect suspension lift?? the rear shock is connected to the axle and to the body. so that means if i got a 3 inch body lift then the body is higher so wouldnt i need a longer shock ??? i not saying your wrong i just not sure

the front shocks run from axle to chasis while the rear shocks run from axle to body. so if my body is 3 inchs higher then wouldnt i need a 3 inch longer shock.. maybe i am confusing everybody or you dont now what i am trying to say lol

Actually the rear shocks attach to the rear cross member that attaches to the frame rails. The body is independent of the suspension.

Get some shocks for a 4" lift. You then can play with your bump stops to gain more uptravel. However, I would lose the 3" body lift!

Jason's right. The suspension and shocks both run from the axle to the frame. The body lift sits on top of the frame and connects to the body. Since the shock just goes from the axle to the frame, you only need to account for the suspension lift.

That's one of the reason body lifts are popular, they don't change the suspension geometry, or require that you buy new shocks.

The front suspension
finished_front_jeep_wrangler_coil_suspension_lift.JPG

and the rear
remove_wheel_jeep_wrangler_coil_suspension_lift.JPG

You'll need something like this:
4 Pro Comp Shocks 97-06 Jeep TJ Wrangler 4x4 3-4" lift: eBay Motors (item 390229937110 end time Sep-23-10 15:12:45 PDT)

hey terry that ebay link is the pro comp es900.. i was wondering about the rancho rs900.. which would be the better shock and long lasting? i dont do hard wheeling.. just snow and sand and trees lol little bit of bog/marsh

The Ranchos should be fine for the use you're describing. It doesn't sound like you need anything super heavy duty, so the Ranchos should work fine and save you a bit of cash.

Back