buying a jeep

jeepsnsoccer

Hey I am 18 years old and I am saving money for my first car. I am looking to buy a used jeep and I am not planning on settling for anything else. I was wondering if people would suggest the yj or the tj. Which is better? I've heard both, and I was just wondering what other people thought.[addsig]

YJ all the way. I just bought my jeep in octoberand its a 1993 YJ with a 2.5L and a 5-speed. The ride is a little bumpy, but its a small acrifice to make. The TJ's ride is smoother, but nothing beats a YJ. Welcome to the board, help and be helped. This is a wonderful community and theyve helped me with alot of problems my jeep had. I would recomend getting the 4.0L 6cyl and a 5-speed, my 2.5 has enough power for now, but you can never have too much power.

TARSI[addsig]

It all matters on what you want to do. If you want to cruise around in a Jeep, and don't mind throwing a couple thousand down on a lift kit for more wheeling, get a TJ. But if you're short on cash or are planning a serious trail rig get the YJ. The lift springs might ride a little rough but they're cheaper to lift. Both are great, but if you can find a nice one, get a CJ. :) [addsig]

A cj would be awesome to get, but there are none around me that would be worth getting. They are all in really bad shape and I don't have the time to totally restore a vehicle. And I know that jeeps aren't the most practical vehicle there is, my parents tell me this all the time, but a cj wouldn't be at all for me. How good is the gas mileage for one?[addsig]

Six of one, and Half a dozen of the other. I look at it this way! TJ newer and there for most likly ezer to keep it going and less likely to have something go wrong. Cost more to build up and mod. YJ older, More Jeep like and and cheaper to mod. My choice is the YJ. CJ even older and even more Jeep like. EZ to mod and have that look and feel. My second Choice. Just depends on what you plan to do with and more importiant to your jeep. Get yourself a Jeep and join in the fun! Tug[addsig]

I just bought a new TJ back in September, and I love it. I actually have always wanted a YJ because of the leafs in the back, but now that I have my TJ with Coils around I like it much better. Yeah its more pricey to mod, but I think you have more options with the Coils...My own 02 cents. Romp. :) [addsig]

Get a YJ. I'm 17 and I got mine around october last year. It's been a lot of fun and is awesome on the trail. I have to pay for everything to do with my jeep on a high schoolers pay, so if you're in my position get a YJ. [addsig]

go with a YJ. they cost less to buy and repair and modify. :cool: [addsig]

From a parent to a parent. Say to yours, the YJ is built like a Volvo and will take a pretty good lick. They aren´t real good on gas mileage, but they haul around alot of extra sheet (thick) metal. They are kinda cool, and the clincher, I don´t want to be like the other guys, driving around in there tricked out rides, smoking wacky weed. :-D [addsig]

If your really that low on funds I would say go for YJ save yourself a buck or two...Your going to need it for gas bro! Romp. :lol: :lol: :lol: [addsig]

its like i like to say, anything a tj can do my yj can do better :-D but its really all about how much money you're trying to spend, if you're going to go yj go 91-95 with the 4.0 HO 6...great engine and a great jeep...good luck hope you find the one you're looking for

quik[addsig]

My 2000 TJ was a million times better ride and performance than my 1989 YJ both had 4 cyl 5spd. If you can come up with a couple extra bucks go TJ you will be alot better off.[addsig]

Ya gotta go with the YJ Dude. Pimpin square headlights and only 685,071 built. I'm sure there's one out there just right for you. Good luck in your quest.[addsig]

its like i like to say, anything a tj can do my yj can do better but its really all about how much money you're trying to spend, if you're going to go yj go 91-95 with the 4.0 HO 6...great engine and a great jeep...good luck hope you find the one you're looking for

Why not go with the 87-90 and get the 4.2 I6??[addsig]

the HO motor is the way to go, it may be smaller in displacement but they're all fuel injected, and more powerful...nothing against 87-90 YJ's, i just like the HO engine better

Quik[addsig]

Whichever you choose, JUST BE SURE TO GET THE 6 cly. The 4-banger will be way under powered for you. When/if you load it up with camping gear, it'll be a dog! Trust us, if you get one in a 4-banger, youll be wishin you got the 6'er.
Stay away from carburated! Avoid it like a toothless crack whore! Fuel injection had much more power, better fuel economy, less problems off-road.
[addsig]

Well, that question will open up a can of worms....everyone loves their own "style" of Jeep for one reason or another...it is a matter of finding a vehicle that has been well maintained, fits within your budget, and simply put - are you drawn to it. It may take you a while to find the Jeep for you...I looked for quite some time before actually making a decision...either way, you already have the bug!!! :evil: So, that is a good thing!! :-D Just research your purchase and enjoy the comraderie!! Take care and welcome, Patti[addsig]

Myself i like my YJ, just feels a little more like a jeep then a TJ, The TJ's just feel to mondern to me. I thing i would be a little more scaried to take a new tJ mudding then a YJ.

:cool: [addsig]

What are the pros and cons of full injected and carburated??[addsig]

Back