broken tap

siminsez01

i was tapping the upper rear shock mounts on my xj after i broke the bolt heads. the tap broke in the hole. there is NONE sticking out that i can grab with vice grips or anything. after a ton of swearing, i'm riding on 3 shocks. here's what i'm thinking i can do....

1) take a punch and beat the hell outta the tap in an attempt to either shatter the tap or break the nut welds on the other side.

2) use a dremel with a tiny bit to grind the center of the tap and then use a punch and hopefully shatter the tap and take the pieces out.

3) use a tap extractor (like 175 for a set). i've read that they break alot and work SOEMTIMES.

4) weld a nut to the tap and try to wrench it out.

i'm leaning towards using the dremel. what do you guys think?

What about an easy out? They work on bolts, why not taps?

joopin, yeah i could definately give that a try. use the dremel to make the hole and try the easy outs. i first tried to drill the tap out. broke 2 bits :) all in a days work.

Do you have a welder? I'd try welding a bolt or something to it real quick that you could then use a wrench on.

Or if you have a torch...burn a hole through the center of the tap

4.0 Throttle Body on a 2.5 myth???

Dremel may work. I usually have to get a tough punch and break it into smaller pieces that can be dug out with a pick. If the welding method can be done then try it first. Allow plenty of time for the tap to cool after you weld.

been there.. done that. 2 choices....

Drill out the center of the tap & use an EZ out.. it will work, be patient and be sure you are using good,
hardened bits to drill the tap out.

OR....

do what I did after breaking an EZ out and about 6 drill bits. drop the seat back, get under the carpet, there is a plate covering where the shock bolts go through, cut the plate out and use pliers to back it out FROM INSIDE THE JEEP

If you're breaking drill bits, you need to use some type of lubrication. Any type of oil, sylicone, even wd-40 is better than nothing. Just keep putting it on OFTEN and that should keep the bits nice and cool. Also make sure you're going in perfectly straight.

That should keep the bits from breaking.

All good ideas...I would try the easy out first. That has saved my butt plenty of times.

your not going to much to that tap with a high speed steel drill bit. You will need a carbide or colbalt drill. I would go with the welding suggestion if you dont have any.

RE: vinal top cleaners

if you have access to air tools...get a 90 degree grinder and a small rotary file...a round one would be greeat...use the rotary file to file out the tap...depending on how deep the tap is...

we always break these things at work...along with screwdriver apex bits and such things...this is actually the best methodi have found for removing them...

thanks for the input guys. i dont have a welder, but do have air tools. i used motor oil on the drill bits and they still broke.

mike, how small can i get a rotary file? the bolt hole is 5/16"

honestly i'm not sure if they come that small...they come small enoguh to do 10/28 screws...but it;s not usually really deep...

RE: Sloppy steering

You can forget about the drilling. Carbide may do it, but Cobalt won't. Taps are hardened, that is why they are so brittle. I assumed when you said Dremel that you were talking about grinding the tap out with a small grinding rock or file.
I'm not familiar enough with the shock mount to tell your first hand, but I would consider Graewulf's method of accessing it through the topside. It sounds like a lot of work, but will probably be the quickest way in the end.

Spring-Over vs. Suspension Lit????

jps4jeep said:
bchcky said:
make bobby do it.

HAHA thats great!
it just seems easier to me than anything else people have been suggesting here.

simon, just keep in mind, while you may only be riding on three shocks, three is better than two.

I was able to get a broken tap out of the frame of my jeep with with needle nose pliers...My uncle who used to work on jaguars used the welding method when pliers wouldn't do it.

redrooster said:
I would consider Graewulf's method of accessing it through the topside. It sounds like a lot of work, but will probably be the quickest way in the end.

I'd agree. Then afterward, you'll have access to both sides and you can just use a nut and bolt and forget about your tapping woes.

If it makes you feel any better, had to drill one on my XJ too.

RE: well then...

My nerf bars on the old Toyota had 3 bolts on one side and a tap holding them on! A buddy was helping me put them on, and we had drilled the holes to big in the frame so had to tap both the frame and the hole in the nerf bar. We got to the very last hole and broke off the tap....just left it in there!

simon, just keep in mind, while you may only be riding on three shocks, three is better than two.

thx for the optomism....

i was just hoping i could end up riding on 4 instead of 3!

i bought a dremel, and a new tap. gonna give the grinding a whirl, i wanna avoid cutting the plate if at all possible. in my opinion, that's the worst case scenario.

Back