broken bolt in frame.

pilgrimninja17

while taking off my old back bumper, one of the bolts underneath, broke off in the frame...how do i get it out?

there isn't enough space to get a lock wrench on, what should i do??

please help, thank you.

Last edited:

Front bumper? Left-handed drill bit and an EZout, or the craftsman bolt extractors.

x2 (popular these days...) the craftsman xtractors - seem to work better than the easy - outs (break less) dont forget to soak with a good penetrating oil like pb blaster to help your cause.... g'luck!

If extracting it fails, you can drill it out and then you have 2 options:

tap it (rethread) ti the next biggest size, which means you may have to enlarge the hole on your bumper to accomodate a bigger bolt.

or

Use those spring-type thingies that rethread the hole for you. Using one of these will not be as strong, so if you use the bumper for recovery I'd nix this choice. If it won't be bearing a heavy load, it will allow you to use the same bolt.

If extracting it fails, you can drill it out and then you have 2 options:

tap it (rethread) ti the next biggest size, which means you may have to enlarge the hole on your bumper to accomodate a bigger bolt.

or

Use those spring-type thingies that rethread the hole for you. Using one of these will not be as strong, so if you use the bumper for recovery I'd nix this choice. If it won't be bearing a heavy load, it will allow you to use the same bolt.

Helicoil?

Is it broken flush with the metal, or do you have any of the bolt left sticking out. If there is alittle left, soak it well with wd40 or the like. Do that for a couple of days. Find a heavy nut that will fit snuggly over the shank of the bolt and mig weld it. You could find a local shop willing to do that for you. If this is the rear bumper, than I don't suggest this next step due to the proximity of the fuel tank. Front bumper ok. Heat the surrounding area with a torch. Doesn't have to get red hot. Make sure you dont heat the broken bolt. You want the metal around the bolt to expand, not the bolt itself. Put a breaker bar and socket. Use a breaker bar instead of a ratchet because you want to twist the bolt forward and back slightly, a ratchet will slow you down while changing ratchet direction. If you hear a loud screech while moving it, it has broken free. Spray lubricant/penetrant on it while moving it. Do not rush it, take your time. It will work out slowly and save you the threads. For future ref. Before breaking any rusted bolts loose. Give them a good couple of wacks with a heavy hammer directly on the head. That sometimes will help brake the threads from the rust.
Now...if the bolt is broken off flush with the frame, you most likely will have to drill it. Good Luck
Guysmiley

the bolt is broken off flush with the frame, i guess i'm just going to have to drill it in...the bolt that broke is one of two that are under supports to keep my back bumper up tight

I've had good luck getting broken bolts out, even those that were broken off flush, by mig welding a washer onto the culprit (this may take a bit of finesse building up the metal on a flush one to give you a little something to weld to) then weld a nut to the washer. The amount of heat you transfer into the bolt is a great help. You might even try splashing cold water on the welded bolt while it's good and hot, this often helps break it loose as well. Something to do with different rates of contraction of the metals when it cools quick.

Back