Who_Cares

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_10.html

Mrs. Arafat keeps husband
on life support
Where's his money?

Special to World Tribune.com
GEOSTRATEGY-DIRECT.COM
Thursday, November 4, 2004

RAMALLAH — Palestinian Authority Chairman Yasser Arafat has died. He was 75 years old.

Israeli and Palestinian officials said Arafat died on Thursday in a military hospital in Paris. They said Arafat was deemed clinically dead, but still attached to life support systems on the insistence of his wife, Suha.

"He is dead, but neither Arafat's wife nor the Palestinian leadership is ready to announce this," a PA official said. "The announcement could take place on Friday."

The problem is that Arafat is still the only Palestinian official who can pay the bills. And it is unclear who, if anyone has access to the estimated $2-3 billion in his personal Swiss bank accounts.

Arafat continues to hold the purse strings to the Palestinian finances. For the last decade, he has been the final, and often only word on payment to everybody from the suicide bomber to the janitor. Not a dime was paid without Arafat's okay.

Before he left for Paris, Arafat approved a three-member emergency committee to operate the PA and PLO in his absence. Official said Ahmed Qurei was meant to run the PA's daily affairs while Mahmoud Abbas was appointed acting chairman of the PLO.

Palestine National Council chairman Salim Zaanoun, the third member of the committee, was said to be a symbolic figure.

Abbas and Qurei sought to acquire Arafat's power to allocate money during the absence of the PA chairman. But as he boarded a Jordanian Air Force helicopter for Amman, Arafat refused.

"I'm still alive, thank God, so don't worry," Arafat was quoted as saying.

Israeli officials confirmed that Arafat died on Thursday. They said Arafat was termed brain dead and physicians have stopped attending to him.

For Palestinians, the main question is where is Arafat's money?

Issam Abu Issa knows how Arafat appropriated and concealed money. Abu Issa was the founder and chairman of the Palestine International Bank from 1996 until he fled to Qatar in 2000.

"Rather than use donor funds for their intended purposes, Arafat regularly diverted money to his own accounts," Abu Issa said in a report for Middle East Quarterly. "It is amazing that some U.S. officials still see the Palestinian Authority as a partner even after U.S. congressional records revealed authenticated PLO papers signed by Arafat in which he instructed his staff to divert donors' money to projects benefiting himself, his family and his associates."

Arafat controls billions of dollars meant for the Palestinian people. In a word, he stole it, intelligence sources said, according to a report in the current edition of Geostrategy-Direct.com.

His personal fortune has been estimated at between $2 and $3 billion, most of it in Swiss bank accounts.

In 1997, the PA auditor's office said in its financial report that $326 million, or 43 percent of the annual budget, was "missing."

The United States has been supporting former PA security chief Mohammed Dahlan as Arafat's successor. To his friends in the Bush administration, Dahlan, 43, has all the qualities for Arab leadership: a smooth talker and brutal cop. Arafat asked Dahlan to accompany him to Paris in a move designed to keep him out of the Gaza Strip and any coup plot.

Another challenger has been Fatah Secretary-general Marwan Barghouti, sentenced to life in prison for a series of terrorist attacks. Barghouti, 44, has followers in the West Bank but does not appear to have the iron will necessary to face Arafat loyalists.

Neither Israeli nor PA officials have been told much about Arafat's condition, and the only one authorized to issue information from his hospital bedside is the chairman's wife, Suha.

And Suha wants to keep Arafat alive for as long as possible to find out where his money is.

Good riddens. I only hope thats a truthful article. That guy was scum at its worse. What a terrible ruler, forcing his countrymen into poverty and warring with neighbors.

Parting out '95 Cherokee Sport

One down......Two to go.

castroharangue-2.jpg

image-missing.png

I heard around 11 AM that he was dead (during Bush's press conference). Then on the way home at 4:30 I head he was in a coma. I was a bit confused to say the least. That clears things up a bit.

Swiss bank account. That could put quite the hurtin' on Palestine.

Imagine if he is dead and the people that take power actual do the right thing and distribute that 2-3 billion back to the people. Maybe build houses or schools or good infrastructure. There might actual be a chance for peace in that area.

judge09 said:
Imagine if he is dead and the people that take power actual do the right thing and distribute that 2-3 billion back to the people. Maybe build houses or schools or good infrastructure. There might actual be a chance for peace in that area.

What color is the sky in your world?

j/k!!

It's good to have a dream, I guess.....

I heard that his wife is claiming "...they tried to bury my husband alive!" All I want is 2k out of that 3 billion to build my stroker!

mingez said:
I tell you what...Sharon isn't much better. It's a mess though.

Mingez, that is the most idiotic thing I thing I have ever seen you type onto this message board. Arafat has been linked to terrorism including suicide bombings since the 1970s and has only provided lip service to actually curbing extremist groups in his country. Not to mention the billions of dollars in aid which he keeps for himself rather than give to his people.

Sharon is no angel and I am fully aware of some questionable activities that he may have orchestrated but he isnt on the same level as scum like Arafat.

judge09 said:
mingez said:
I tell you what...Sharon isn't much better. It's a mess though.
Mingez, that is the most idiotic thing I thing I have ever seen you type onto this message board. Arafat has been linked to terrorism including suicide bombings since the 1970s and has only provided lip service to actually curbing extremist groups in his country. Not to mention the billions of dollars in aid which he keeps for himself rather than give to his people.

Sharon is no angel and I am fully aware of some questionable activities that he may have orchestrated but he isnt on the same level as scum like Arafat.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
What the hell was that?? A simple "I disagree with you would suffice".

Believe me, I agree with you about Arafat, i'm just suggesting that it's a bad situation on both sides. There's no reason for that type of response. Refute my opinion, but don't call my opinion's idiotic, it's inappropriate and unnecessary. (Geez, I'm just pissing people off by speaking my mind lately.)

I'm entitled to my opinion, and for you to say it is "idiotic" is definetly not in the spirit of this board. I'm dissappointed in your response and surprised to say the least. I expect better from you.

You said it yourself...he's no angel. So..."NOT MUCH BETTER" might apply. In my opinion, which is just as valid as yours, Sharon is not much better. And many Israelies agree.

He is part of the problem and not part of the solution. He is a known racist, murderer, and has had countless war crime indictments/inquiries, most of which he has not been exonerated from.

Do a search on "War Crimes" and "Ariel Sharon". You'll get:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ariel+sharon+war+crimes&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

"Ariel Sharon" and "Hitler"
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=Ariel+Sharon+hitler&sm=Yahoo!+Search&fr=FP-tab-web-t&toggle=1

"Ariel Sharon" and "Hate"
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=ariel+sharon+hate&ei=UTF-8&fr=FP-tab-web-t&fl=0&x=wrt

A lot of hits isn't it? I guess someone out there doesn't think it's the most "idiotic" thing to claim.
Don't get me wrong, they are both nuts. And yes, Arafat has had more wrongs, perhaps, in his illustrious career than does Sharon, but they both have had their hands in some wrong doings.
I'm relying on the info I've read, heard and seen reported on all sides of the subject. What do you rely on? Conjecture?

So I guess you're right...he's WAYYY BETTER.

Your asking me if I rely on conjecture, all you have posted is yahoo searches. Do we really need to get into a discussion about how what you find on the internet can not be considered research. There is no way to validate info in the internet and please you can get hits on anything. I got 500,000 hits on "Santa" and "Hitler". And yes an opinion can be idiotic. Any time someone puts a known terrorist on the same level as a democratic leader I find the statement to be idiotic. Much like many people who compared Bush to Hitler. I am not going to waste any more time on something that is not within the "spirit of the board" But in my OPINION your statement was idiotic.

I heard on the radio she was getting something like $1million a month from Arafat and hadnt even seen him since 2000. $1 million a month!!!! come on now. Thats silly.

judge09 said:
Your asking me if I rely on conjecture, all you have posted is yahoo searches. Do we really need to get into a discussion about how what you find on the internet can not be considered research. There is no way to validate info in the internet and please you can get hits on anything. I got 500,000 hits on "Santa" and "Hitler". And yes an opinion can be idiotic. Any time someone puts a known terrorist on the same level as a democratic leader I find the statement to be idiotic. Much like many people who compared Bush to Hitler. I am not going to waste any more time on something that is not within the "spirit of the board" But in my OPINION your statement was idiotic.

I could respond by stooping and calling you "Idiotic" but I won't. Mostly because I don't think you are.

In reguards to the yahoo links: it's not the amount of hits, but it's the websites that I wanted you to check out. If you can open your mind past whatever ridiculous agenda you're getting so unnecessarily emotional about for just a second, maybe you'll see. And my research and knowledge of the subject isn't simply web based. -- BTW.. I was just using those links to illustrating a point: I'm not the only one who thinks Sharon's a nut.

I don't understand where this beraiding is coming from, as in the past we usually agree on things. But I guess your true colors have come through. Anyone who disagrees with you is an "Idiot". Good to know.

Conveniently, you haven't built ANY case at all for why Sharon is such a great person. So.. whatever.

And for the record, Arafat: Bad... That's my take on him.

I really am amazed that the statement: "Sharon isn't much better" is soo offensive to you. I'm puzzled and surprised by your response. Rather than flaming me, and calling me an idiot, how about you educate me on the "Richness" of Sharon's character and policies. Or refute the many genocidal allegations he's been accused of. PM me. "Inform" me. I'm open to anything you have to say. But there's no reason to flame me.

So if you are an israeli national or have some vested interest in this subject, I apologize if I touched a nerve, but I don't feel as though I did anything wrong. And I don't appreciate the comment that opinion is "Idiotic."

minguez, do you know how frustrating it is to someone when you just REFUSE to get riled up? I mean, come on MR. SPOCK, get po'd every once and awhile. It's no fun argueing with someone if you can't get them upset! :lol:

Back