brake me off a piece...my weekend

jps4jeep

Super Moderator
RE: Ideal tire size

I got a little story for ya'll about this weekend... As many knew, Sully was out here in Mass for the week. I was going offroad on saturday, and sully was going to come with me, but because of a couple reasons, he was not going to be able to make it. One of those reasons was if something Broke... I assured him that this particular trail is not all that hard. maybe a 4 on a scale of 1-10

Well, good thing you didn't come, about 50 yards into the trail, I flexed pretty hard, and pulled the crimped end out of the banjo bolt on the passengers side. what gets me is that, this was my first trip with the YJ since I finally put on the 5" extrended braided hoses. (I was wheeling stick hoses for years with my lift, never had a problem other than mushy peddle)

so I had to cap that line, and wheel all day with no brakes. ok the drivers calliper still worked, but cause my rears are junk, that one brake did not do much.

eventually got home, called the manufacturer and told them the story.. they are making me a set of custom Heavy Duty brake hoses for free, and they said if I manage to break these ones, they will not only replace them with another set, but refund my initial purchase price. All I had to do was measure wheel droop and tire travel, and sent them all the numbers.

I've had the same problem before. The high dollar braided hoses have crappy crimps on the ends. The stock hoses are much stronger. Now I just use an additional stock style hose with an adapter fitting. Cheaper and stronger.

I was home and off the trail by 4:00, only hindered me one time, a real steep climb, with a couple slick rock steps at the top. longer wheel base vehicles and get up it better, but the shorter W/B kinda have to do the old, Bump and Bump to get over.. went to do that, and didn't make it, started to roll backwards, hit the brake, nothing just kept going (you don't want to go backwards on this slope) I ended up throwing it in gear and stalling it. pulled out a winch cable, secured myself to a tree just to re-start. I choked the tire, But I still just rolled backwards. got it started and just drove over the winch line. Thank god it went straight inbetween the wheels.

This is a pic from a couple winters ago
image-missing.png

it was on the portion with little snow on the top left.

Back