borla header

GaryMB

Anyone know if a borla header made for a 4.0L 1998 TJ will fit on a 1994 cylinder head/motor? I'm building a stroker and came across a used borla header for pretty cheap, not too worried about exact fit in the engine bay/lining up with the exhuast or anything as the motor is going in a CJ7, but am mostly concerned if it will actually fit on the motor...

So the header will fit...but what about emissions? I can't remember if the '94 has the o2 sensor in the header or in the exhaust pipe. Also am i supposed to have a sticker with it that says something like "smog legal," kinda like the sticker that came with my msd ignition coil?

Gary,

My 94 YJ 2.5L has the O2 sensor in the header, and it only uses one sensor (I understand that newer models use 2, one after the cat or something like that). Hope this is useful!

Felipe

Hmmm...lets hope the emissions guys don't know that! I went ahead and bought the header, I suppose I'll just weld a nut for the O2 sensor on the exhaustpipe right after the header/flange. Shouldn't affect emissions at all, only the smog testers here in Cali are pretty strict with the visual inspection...

Oh and one of my buddies has a pair of exhaust re-routing valve things on his mustang that mount infront of the muffler (and I guess cat in a newer vehicle), where all he has to do is unscrew 2 wing nuts and remove a small plate and he has open headers. Anybody know what these are called, or how legal they are?

They're called dumps. and they probably are illegal.(besides why wouold you want them anyway) I have my o2 in the pipe about 6" down from the flange and never had a problem.

Gary,

If you want a picture of my O2 sensor, just let me know. I always carry a camera with me so it's just a few minutes worth of work...

Felipe

Gary,

If you want a picture of my O2 sensor, just let me know. I always carry a camera with me so it's just a few minutes worth of work...

Felipe

Naw, that's alright. I'll just put the O2 sensor in the pipe right after the header flange.

As for the dumps, I was thinking they would be a fun mod for showing off, not anything I would use very often. But, the cali smog tests are pretty strict...I'm going to be cutting it close anyway with all the other engine mods, the dumps on top of that might be pushing it...they're a fun idea to toss around though.

I have seen motorized or cable driven (can't remember which) versions of those online. If you are into that, it would be way better to hit a button instead of crawling under and removing those screws...

Back