blow-by bandaid?

Snitty

does anyone know of a temporary fix for piston ring blowby? i'm kinda in a rush... i'll explain the whole story in a bit

Never tried RESTORE, the red and white can... Maybe some hightach.

quick story... a friend of mine has a trans am with an olds 403... she's getting some nasty blowby... and needs to drive 2 hours here to show her car at the carshow this weekend... it is likely not hurting much... but i'm afraid of the acid content rising and hurting the internals... i am swapping the motor soon.. but i want to make sure it is ok to get her here and back...

Are you sure it's blowby? It's most commonly the CCV system clogged and working in reverse, with crankcase gases forcing oil into the airbox instead of the gases properly venting into the intake manifold to be burned. Let me know if this is a possibility and I'll talk you through troubleshooting it and fixing it.

you didn't hijack.. you're right on topic still....

in this motor, pontiac/olds V8... the pcv is working great... all of the smoke is coming from the oil fill cap... so i know its gotta be going past the pistons.... increases on acceleration, decreases on deceleration...

no airbox... just a good ol' carbed V8

Another grinding question....Nissan Pickup

Smoke shouldn't be coming from the oilcap, that hole should have vacuum to it when you place your hand over the hole.

Check for a line from a valve cover to the intake manifold, they usually have a small orifice that becomes clogged or the entire line becomes clogged with soot. Clean this and the pressure built up in the crankcase by normal blowby will be vented into the intake.

If you have a jeep, Check the line at the front of the valve cover, there should be a brass fitting were it attached to the valve cover. This fitting may have a small orifice that's clogged. If not, look midline in this hose for a plastic coupler, it has the small easily clogged orifice. I think I could say orifice a few more times, don't ya think?

the crankcase is not under vacuum or pressure.. it is just ambient pressure... when the exhaust is making it past the rings, it is filling the crankcase up... not "normal blowby" in any sense... and... some IS getting vented to the intake... because i unhooked the line pcv line at the carb and it came out of there as well... so its all over in the crank case... that's how its coming out of the oil fill hole... its just filling the crankcase up by getting past the pistons

I put Restore in a couple of vehicles I've had. Never an adverse effect. I seriously believe it extended the life of my heavily abused 22R toyota pickup motor many years ago.

my friend had one in his yota... he would offroad with us and basically have it bouncing off the limiter at every moment...

also.. suzuki motors will NOT die... same friend had a samurai... he WANTED to kill the motor, drained it of oil and ran it for a couple of days... didn't die... then drove it an entire winter in first gear... start it up in the morning, and drive it in first gear, redlining all the way to work, cold... imagine hearing RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! while you're outside, then looking to the sound and seeing a samurai going 55 past you

The line to the carb or intake is supposed to put vacuum to the crankcase, sucking out any blowby and burning it in the intake. I've heard that some blowby is normal, but I dunno.

Restore will help some. Used it in an old Ford Pickup for a temporary fix and ran like this for several months.
D 8)

Back