Bigger lift questions

Jason4x4

Hey guys. I haven't posted in a while but I have been stopping by and reading on a regular basis!

I'm looking for some advice. To bring you up to date, I have an '06 TJ that is currently running a 2" RE budget lift with 32" BFG mud terrains. The 2" lift clears the 32" tires pretty well, with the only problem being some slight rubbing on the swaybar at full lock. I'd like to get a bigger lift to a) properly clear these tires b) allow me to upgrade to 33's when these tires finally need to be replaced and c) give me a little more clearance on the trail. Originally I was looking at the 3.5" RE Super Flex kit, but I got married earlier this year and we're trying to buy a house so finances probably aren't going to allow that any time soon. I've also been giving some thought to the 3.5" RE 'standard' lift kit and then adding some JKS control arms and what not down the line when I free up some extra cash.

Questions:
If I went with the 'standard' 3.5" RE kit would I be able to swap in RE's 4.5" springs down the road without having to change anything else?

At a 3.5 or 4" lift, would I be able to get away with keeping my TC drop instead of getting an SYE for a while (again, trying to minimize costs and keep my marriage happy)?

I talked to a guy at work the other day about getting an SYE for my Jeep, and he was telling me about a local shop that would "lengthen your driveshaft" so that an SYE wouldn't be needed, and from the way he talked it would be relatively cheap. 1) would this work? and 2) is it a bad idea?

And finally, are there any other cheaper lift kit options in the 3.5-4" range that are decent on the street and the trail? Like a Superlift or something like that that would come with shocks and save me some money?

Thanks for the input in advance!

Consider adding a 1" body lift if really on a tight budget, pretty popular addition to the 2" BB lift.

If you go 4", you can get by with a tc drop until you decide on a SYE. Simply lengthening the stock rear shaft won't work because it doesn't minimize the operating angles of the ujoints like using a SYE and CV driveshaft.

Back