Bestop Extend-a-Trunk...or other options?

socal_rob

I'd like to replace the back seat in my TJ with a "trunk." I looked at Tuffy's trunk, but I really don't want something that heavy/bulky back there.

That led me to Bestop's Extend-a-Trunk. I ordered one the other day and tried to install it, but the mounting holes did not line up properly. I called Bestop and they were no help at all and told me that I should just return it. So much for customer service. Has anyone else tried to install one of these? The design seems pretty decent overall. However, it doesn't seem very well made. The plastic is pretty rough and things don't quite line up the way they should. Or did I just get a bum unit?

Finally, are there any other trunks out there that I should consider? I don't need or want maximum security...just something for storing camping gear or bags at the mall or whatever.

Thanks,
Rob

Got a saw and some lumber? I've got plans for a wooden trunk for the YJ in my head, just not on paper yet......

Funny you should mention this...I thought about building my own "trunk." Perhaps that is the only option. Bestop's design was pretty nice (using the seat mounts, etc), but it's a poorly manufactured product. Are the Tuffy and Bestop trunks the only ones out there???

My solution was to buy a plastic tool box (approx 36" x 15" x 15") that could be padlocked and bolt it down to the back of the jeep in the place of the back seat. (I fixed the bolts to the tub and then use wing nuts and big washers inside the box so that I can remove it if I need to without losing the nuts.) Granted, looks aren't a big issue for me with an old trail rig, but you get the point--you can make/modify something like that for a lot less $$ than you can buy from a specialty company. Ammo cases have always been big favorites around this area . . . just pick them up in a surplus store.

I suppose the solution to your querry lies in (a) how much aesthetics matter to you, (b) whether you care about whether you retain a back seat, and (c) what sort of uses you're putting your jeep through. I know that for any substantial trail riding, I want more equipment with me than I could ever fit into one of those tiny "trunks," and I definitely want all my equipment stowed away so that it doesn't come flying out at an inopportune time.

I really like the look of the big storage unit that Tuffy sells. If I had a new jeep that I really cared about, I'd look into one of those.

i bought a olympic rack and installed and u cant really see alot of whats under it plus if thieves break in they will grab what on top

Use a couple of those lockable rough-neck totes they have at Walmart, bolt them to the rails where the seats were. Easy to use and remove if you need to carry the stuff in to a job or back to the house.

I wanted a secure area that did not have to be bomb proof also. I built one out of a piece of plywood and 2x4s. The 2x4's are at the corners with the ones in the back set forward a little to allow for the tailgate hardware. The plywood was cut to fit inside the wheel wells. The 2x4s were inset just enough to allow vertical pieces of plywood to fit flush on three sides. I left the back open using the tailgate to close the box. You need to make some cutouts in the plywood at the back for the tailgate lock hardware and in the bottom of the sides for the seatbelt hardware. I drilled holes in the plywood to line up with the holes in the seat mounting brackets and passed a couple of bolts through, securing it to the floor. Round heads with the nuts on the inside to deter tampering. A large screw-in eye at each corner provides tie down points for bungees or a net. With enough time you could break into it and I would never leave anything of great value in overnight but it will slow most theaves down long enough to not make it worth the risk for them. I have had it in place for a year now and it has worked great.

i just put an extend-a-trunk in my YJ and there were no "mounting holes" - used self tappers for the sides (even tho they said it used the original seat mounts in the ad - NOT!) - then i reinforced the base underneath (with alum. diamond plate i had lying around) and drilled holes for the spare and mounted it on top using "j-bolts" - mine seems to work great -still slides with the full size spare and i can sit on it too... - sorry no pictures but for the 140 bucks at 4wheelparts it seemed worth it....

Back