best way to rotate tires

2000wrangler

what is the best way to rotate tires. i have BFG AT's. someone told me that you can only rotate them front to front and back to back. someone else told me that you can go front to back on the same side. and others have told me it doesnt matter. what is the best way to get the most mileage out of my tires

Manual Transmission Rattle in Neutral, TJ

Here's my solution to the mystery:
Assuming you're using a 4 tire rotation sequence (forget the spare).
Always rotate in the following pattern:
LF to RR
RF to LR
LR to LF
RR to RF

Why, you ask? This pattern moves turning wheels to rolling wheels and vice versa everytime. It also changes the rolling direction of the current turning wheels after each rotation. AND no one's left out. On the 4th rotation you're back to where you started.

Rotation Location for each tire.
Tires are numbered 1 to 4.
LF RF LR RR
1 2 3 4 (start)
3 4 2 1 (1st rotation)
2 1 4 3 (2nd rotation)
4 3 1 2 (3rd rotation)
1 2 3 4 (4th rotation)

This pattern gives each tire equal participation on the four corners. In this way they should wear evenly.

(Not applicable to performance/directional tires)

I have always just rotated front to back, keeping the tires on the same side. The theory is that radial tires' steel belts can wear goofy when you change the rotation by changing sides. That's what my high school auto shop teacher preaced to us and his advice has always worked for me. It may be wrong, it may be right but that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

RE: Would 2.5 inch suspension look good on 2" body &amp

I've always been told to cross the front's to the rear and bring the rear straight to the front like anthonyp said. I always managed to get anywhere from 60,000 to 80,000 miles out of my tires that way.

RE: Re: RE: No heat

I've heard about every recommendation there is for rotating radials, but I've always done it like anthonyp put so well, and never had a problem. Always seem to get good even tire wear.

I rotated mine as anthonyp suggested, that's how my dad always told me to do it... Same tires. Problem is, I waited for about two years to do so, and as I have not had an alignment done in forever, the former front ones were a lot more worn down than the backs... So now, when it's wet, I peel out and fishtail like crazy, but I have incredible steering control, go figure... I believe the rule of thumb is to rotate either once a year, or every 10,000 miles, something like that...

And the BEST way to rotate them is to go to Belle Tire and pony up the $15.00 for them to do it in like 5 minutes, rather than having to deal with the jackstands and all that foolishness... It's hard work to get an XJ to stand off of it's wheels when you're shoulder is jacked up, let me tell ya :lol:

2001 TJ in PA

Most folks that run mudders have told me to rotate them every other oil change, or about 10,000 miles. I used to do my Toyota's tires every 20,000, but I'm doing the YJ every 10,000.

RE: Hey Mingez, Is this true?

My MT/R's need it every 6K

Hint: When you done with the rotation, make sure that each tire is now in a different spot than before. :D :D

Back