Best picture program???

It's definetly not as intuitive as windows, but much more stable, and once you get every keystroke down, it's much more efficient.

I've been doing linux server (webhosting) for years, so am pretty good with the server side, but when I finally changed my desktop over to red hat 9, I must admit that I was a little dissapointed. I never got any USB devices working (I've got a number of usb hard drives), and things like my digital camera didn't even have software for linux. There is some software for linux, but in general everything is written for windows.

I'm a big linux advocate, but I don't really think that it's ready for the average user (or at least my mom).

I would have to agree with Terry. I am a Cad/Cam user and am stuck in the windows world. Oh and by the way Photoshop 7.0...but I also own Corel and Qwark as photo and desk top publishing softwares.
Linux has been comming out better and better over the years and I have one of my SATA drives set-up as an indapendent drive to boot red hat. Unfortunatly AutoCad, Catia, and Master Cam do not run well under Linux. The File share issues and DFX converter proto-call's across a network are a nightmare, not to say a thing about file dump problems running in 3-D modes in cad.
The average windows user is not ready to make the jump out the window...lol pun intended, into the Linux world.
But with yours and many others support Linux will some day show windows stack protocall is outdated.
Can you picture Joy average trying to use Linux? Or dear ole mom who looses the checking book short-cut and goes into a panick?

Hi,

Note that the Redhat distribution is no longer being produced. Instead, the project has been renamed Fedora, and is not being made with desktop users in mind anymore.

Mandrake has and will continue where redhat left off, and in my opinion is doing a good job making Linux easy to use. I've installed mandrake linux many times and it usually just works the first time... may need a little fine-tuning for a certain computer's hardware, but overall it has great hardware support, especially for USB and USB 2.0.

As for dual-booting, it is pretty easy. I always install Windows FIRST, and use LILO (the LInux LOader) instead of the Grub bootloader.... it seems to work better. Also, If you have the means to it is always better to have Windows and Linux on seperate harddrives for security (such as windows trying to reformat the Linux partitions :shock:).

-Nick :!:

Back