Best picture program???

Craig

I'm looking for people's input into the best, affordable or cheapest image editing program. Reason I'm asking is because I've tried using my microsoft photo editor and when I try to resize a picture either down or up, it distorts the picture. I've seen some programs that will resize pictures with little or no distortion...even when you use a picture as a thumbnail picture it doesn't really distort all that much.

I'm a big fan of photoshop. Its cost alot, but if you have kazaa or know how to use mIRC you can find it. Photoshop is great when it comes to anything dealing with pictures.

Photoshop, no other way around it. Otherwise Jasc Paint Shop Pro is pretty powerful. But not as intuitive and just as expensive.

if you're getting distorted images, check your resoluition and/or compression settings... i don't think its the editor, but a setting. I use either photo shop fro the hard stuff, or compupic as my GP editor.

Hi,

BEFORE you sink money for or steal photoshop, consider checking out

The GIMP from http://www.gimp.org/

It is an open source (free) image editing program for Linux, but has also been ported to run on Windows and MacOSX. I've found it has many features and also works with plugins to expand it's capabilities.

Download the windows version from:
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

You Must download both files (GIMP & GTK+2) from the above site and install GTK+ before installing the GIMP.

Hope that helps :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Also, a general tip for using the GIMP:

Remember to Right-click.

Most all features of the program can be accessed by right-clicking on the image. This saves time and helps keep all features right where you need them. :mrgreen:

I use photoshop 7.0... i'm a very big fan of it... i think i may go look into gimp... is that an acronym for something?
good image making program? haha

GNU Image Manipulation Program. linux is king of all OS!

LGR said:
GNU Image Manipulation Program. linux is king of all OS!

Yep that's what it stands for.

For the sake of not writing an essay about how Linux is better than windows could ever hope to be, I'll just say I agree to your last comment LGR 8)

P.S. I use Mandrake Linux . Good stuff :mrgreen:

yeah i really need to get linux... i've been meaning to look into it... but of course... procrastinate

Guys, I'm not normally a stickler for the rules, but some of you have posted here that you've stolen / downloaded photoshop. Photoshop sells for $650, which I believe would make this a felony. So, in essance, you've posted on a public message board that you've committed a felony. Please think before posting things like this, both to protect you and me.

Terry

terrymason said:
Guys, I'm not normally a stickler for the rules, but some of you have posted here that you've stolen / downloaded photoshop. Photoshop sells for $650, which I believe would make this a felony. So, in essance, you've posted on a public message board that you've committed a felony. Please think before posting things like this, both to protect you and me.

Terry

Agreed.

Plus, if you really like a piece of software you'd probably want to buy it to help insure it remains in developement.

Note though that Open-Source software is the exact opposite. Most are licensed under the GNU public license which, among other things, allows the software to be downloaded legally for no cost. I've found that there is a lot of Open-Source software which is better than comparible software which you'd buy :mrgreen:

Snitty said:
yeah i really need to get linux... i've been meaning to look into it... but of course... procrastinate

If you're going to try Linux for the first time, consider trying the distribution made by mandrakesoft. Mandrake Linux is very very easy distribution to install and use, and is compatible with a huge variety of hardware. Plus, you can dual boot Linux with windows so you can use either OS while learning Linux. :mrgreen:

I've only had problems with the grub boot loader. would always make windows run funny..i mean i'd only expect that from an inferior OS. So switched to linux only..i'm running red hat 9 and love it! I say ditch the dual boot, only linux. just make sure ya learn it and don't hate it so you'll want to switch back to windows. But who doesn't love linux?

may we get a lesson on dual boot?... i'm a self taught lifetime windows man... but i hear nothing but good about linux... when i restore the laptop next... i'd like to at least see how linux is... so i can learn it

Back