annoyed with the motorcraft

its good now. i did indeed have to put some rtv on it, very lightly so it only created a seal and did not squeeze out over everything.

I may try that! I have a small vac leak at the carb and cant figure out if its the throttle shaft or gasket, Ive replaced the gasket a couple times but the base plate may be warped, not sure. I may try some rtv. Im readjusting the carb every couple days, getting old fast.

There is also a anti-backfire kit you can install to save the powervalve from being burst by the backfire.

not for the 2100 carbs. i checked. we don;t have the little passage in the place that is accessible for hte kit to be installed.

ok, the carb is mixing to lean. i have been messing around with it while driving to figure out why it acts the way it does and i read someone had used their choke to regulate the mixture. so i tried it. i tried a few settings and with the choke half closed, the jeep runs perfectly so i am going to throw some 52 jets on and see how it does

Hey superJ. that may have been me that used the choke as you discribed and mine ran great with the choke pulled partly out. Mine has a pretty good vac leak at the throttleshaft and figured thats why I have to pull the choke and adjust the carb every few days. When I adjust the carb I dont have to pull the choke anymore, but after a few day its back to pulling it. If you try new jets let me know how it does, I have a double pumper carb but have 65 main jets and I think 72 or 76 secondary jets. I have not tried dif size jets so if it helps yours I just may have to play with that. I think the bottom line for me is, I just need a new carb. Mine runs REAL rich, at times your eyes will water and other times no fumes at all.

I am hoping mine doesn't need a bushing kit, I have read about them wearing and causing leaks.

I figure since closing that choke plate makes it rich all across the range then upping to the 52 jets will do the same thing. Sound good? It makes sense in my stuffed up summer cold head, ha ha ha

Nevemind, they are 54s and won't come out of the old carb. One came right out and the other stripped out the top, like always. So I said screw it and will just have to order some new ones.

I got on the highway and opened it up, just to let it ride and blow out the carbon in the system and it cruises at 3100rpms at 80mph and it runs smoother around town now. Annnnnddddddd, no trouble with the idle sticking anymore so maybe it just needed a good high speed pass on the highway. I think if I didn't have that little 4x6 trailer on the back full of stuff, I would've let it run out as fast as it would do

ruh roh, i spoke to soon earlier guys. now i am having trouble idling and drops to about 500 rpms as soon as i put it in gear. i raised the idle set screw to 850-900 and as soon as its in gear, drops right to 500 flat.

great. whole weekend the jeep is fine. sunday night, of course its breaking down so i have to walk to work tomorrow.

i am going to get out the timing gun and vacuum gauge tomorrow and redo everything on this sucker and see what happens. i am going to retighten all the bolts and just generally check everything.

my 450cfm holley will be here tomorrow but i bet it will be too late to work on it before work

Back