Advise

lasantos

Hi there guys.
I am very new to Jeeps, although I am looking into buying a vehicle. Like I will be driving to the snow quite a bit, I wanted a 4x4, and the feedback I had is that Jeeps are very reliable.
I saw an ad for a 89 Cherokee and I would like to know if there is anything special I should look for. I read most of the threads regarding mechanical problems, but I really am not much into mechanics.

Also, if anyone in the Sacramento/Davis CA area is or knows of someone selling a Jeep - a well taken cared of - please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

NEW JEEP PICKUPS!!!

i would advise that if you are looking for XJ's (cherokees that is) that you look no earlier than early 90's. the older ones like the 89's tend to have more probs than the newer ones for a number of reasons (other than the fact that they're simply older). you definitely don't want to get into a carbeurated engine, and i think that 89 would probably have one. if you just look around, XJ's are readily available and are quite cheap... all the way up to even later 90's models. what kind of price range are you looking at? are you looking at only cherokees... or also grands, wranglers, etc.?

i have a 1994 XJ with 130,000 miles on it and all that i have had to replace on it is the back brakes(drums), water pump, and the tires and suspension only cause i added a 3 inch suspension lift and 31x10.50s

I am tight on budget so I cannot go further than $3000, most expenses included preferably. It is not easy to find a good 4x4 under these conditions, but I have to try.
The one I am thinking of taking a look at says that has lots of new stuff, I wonder why though..

From what I am told the late 80's Cherokees had a Renault fuel injection system that isn't as good as the 90's Mopar version. I had a '95 Country that ran beautifully and never gave me any problems whatsoever. 8)

It has a manual transmission.. I am only looking for manuals. I don't like automatic.

I did tried a subaru the other day.. I have been told they are more reliable..
:?

Back