AARGH!! $#%^&* $335 for a fuel pump?!!!

nworbekim

they say i should feel lucky, that some of the chrysler fuel pumps cost up to $700... and yes, there were some of those used in some of the jeeps....

i don't feel so lucky though... kinda feel like i've been kicked in the groin...

but i am told that the "bugs" in the pumps have been worked out and the new pump will last....

they were also saying that chrysler used to fix'em fer $100 but not now... you know anything about that? any recalls or what?

thanx....[addsig]

maybe you should look into an electric pump they are not to expensive.but you will probably need a fuel pressure regulator.just an idea.[addsig]

my 95 YJ needed a new fuel pump, but it was still under warranty, after parts and labor it cost 500$.... went to the dealership tho so i didnt have to pay a penny.

Still seemed pretty expensive to me tho, even if it wasnt out of my pocket.

Ive heard people buying performance fuel pumps for less.. who knows..[addsig]

It sucks but alot of that cost is in the labor because they have to drop the tank to get to the pump, and if the jeep is new enough it is an electric pump to begin with. It sucks try not to let your tank get below half I know that if your pump is constantly trying to get gas and it is not mostly submerged it can burn up faster. Sorry dude I feel your pain on the expense catagory, wait until your ball joints go bad :-( [addsig]

That is good advice Jeeper89. unfortunately, ALL automobiles have some kind of defect, and the bill almost always falls on the consumer. Sorry to hear about your problems, but this is just part of owning an automobile. -Al[addsig]

as i am mechanically CHALLENGED i took this job to a well reputed garage... i'll letya know in a day or two when i get it back... he also suggests changing the throttle position sensor, but says that its possible when the fuel pump fails and the fuel pressure drops, the computer could be logging a false error code... just have to see when the pump is replaced....

i am promised that this new pump is supposed to have been redesigned so that this won't happen again....

huh.... where have i heard that one before?

seeya....
[addsig]

picked my ride up yesterday morning... i've put about 200 miles on it since... absolutely no problems....

maybe this has it....

by the way, how do i reset the computer? it still shows a 24.... we disconnected the battery for a bit, but it didn't do anything... didn't even erase the presets on the stereo....

must not have been long enuff....

how long should i leave it off? does a capacitor have to discharge for a while? i can see where that would be handy when changing batteries...

thanks...[addsig]

What model year is your Jeep? OBD I computers can be cleared by disconnecting the battery, on an OBD II computer you'll need a scanner to clear the codes. Sounds like yours is OBD II.

-Nick[addsig]

Ok, It is an OBD II compatible system. Try Autozone, they check codes and might be able to clear the code for you.

-Nick[addsig]

That is outrageous I wish you the best of luck
and the most in-expensive route let us
know how it goes and what you end up doing..... :-O [addsig]

You can get hi performance Wal-bro pumps for like $180 and I'm certain for under $335 you could make them work in a jeep - that or hell - you could get a new pump and a fuel-cell setup for < $335 - but you'd lose that lovely jeep storage space (unless you mounted it under deck of course).

And when you get one - don't forget to upgrade the wiring to it with more that 22gauge wire - most fuel pumps only get like 10v by the time they get the juice from the harness... It's a simple job involving a relay and some 10ga or 8ga wire and a few connectors and a couple of hours... This mod in and of itself can prevent peepz from having to upgrade pumps a bit longer if they goto larger engines that have a larger thirst for the petrol.[addsig]

You could also go the inline fuel-pump route - while noisier (we have jeeps - creature comforts aren't our biggest priority) - it's way more convenient and CHEAPER - here's a URL for a performance inline universal fuel pump setup... Doh - and it's a walbro - didn't even see that part....you can chose from $139 for 190lph or $149 for 255lph - wham bam thankya mam - way cheaper than intank replacement - just find a suitable mouting location - give it plenty of juice - make certain the old pump is not somehow providing a restritction to flow - disconnect the old pump - plump the new one and you're set...

Oh yeah - that URL:
http://www.jdsperformance.com/index.asp?initemuid=432&fcmd=item&inmake=all

Hope this helps.[addsig]

The main reason why the fuel pump only gets around 10 volts is because of the fuel pump ballast resistor. During normal driving the power to the pump is routed thru the ballast resistor to keep pump noise down while driving.

However, when the key is in START or there is a WOT condition, the ECU will bypass the ballast resistor to give the Jeep an extra boost. I don't think these pumps are designed to run without the ballast resistor for long periods.

-Nick[addsig]

Back