97 jeep tj rear diff leak (sump)

luis

Is this easy to replace? What is involved and what gear oil do I use. Iv noticed this for awhile but has never leaked on my driveway. But I just replace it anyway cause I don't want to ruin the diff. Thank you in advance
ForumRunner_20120113_124236.png

It can be as long as its only the seal at fault and not a diff concern

When you pull that yolk out to replace the seal you will need to get a new yolk Nut, as they are a 1 time use item. They are about 5 dollars from the stealership, I am sure you can find them online cheaper.

Just need a chisel and bend the edge in. Takes the pressure off the seal and they pop right out.

Use a torque wrench when you remove the nut so you can retorque it the same when you put it back so you don't over crush the crush sleeve. If there is play in the yoke before you pull it you may have bad bearings.

xjmarc said:
Use a torque wrench when you remove the nut so you can retorque it the same when you put it back so you don't over crush the crush sleeve. If there is play in the yoke before you pull it you may have bad bearings.

There was a tiny bit it play. Nothing that seemed to alarm me. How hard is it to replace those bearings

Its pretty much a diff over haul. It's gotta come apart.

Unless you know how to set up gears don't mess with that part. Bearings are somewhat cheap but it uses specialty tools to set everything up. If it's off by thousandths of an inch it can kill your ring and pinion.

Looking at the photo, it looks like the rear seal is leaking very common in 4x4 as mud and water ride around and dry the seal out. There should be a little play in the pinion but not more than 1/8 inch. There is a lot of hype about torque and crush sleeves. I remove mine with impact take about 20 min to remove te old seal and 20 min to replace the new 5$ seal. If it starts leaking again within 2-3 months you should overhaul the pinion bearings. I have a friend with 79 cj we replace his once a year for good measure.... Don't waste time on seal puller I also bend one side with screw driver. Be sure you put the new one in square though.... Good luck

Back