90 cherokee odd trouble

fisty

I have a 90 Cherokee 4.0 inline 6 I am getting a Bad build up of Carbin on my spark plugs and getting all kinds of big bad black smoke out the back pipe. I have changed plugs, plug wires, cap, button, coil, ignition box. I have went through every thing i can think of anyone here have any ideas. I am open for anything this is driving me nuts.

Gettin' any codes? Has the CEL come on?? O2 sensors, maybe??? Sounds like the computer is having trouble figure out the air/fuel mixture?!?! Just a thought.......hope it helps a bitl.

i am not sure what a CEL is? and i do not have a way to check codes. thanks for the ideas i am going to change the o2 sensors

turn key off-on-off-on the check light will flash you a code. like flash flash "pause" flash flash flash is code 23. code 55 is the "end code of check sequence" post up the code you get and we can "help" steer you in the right direction. Sounds like an o2 anyways, what gas are you running? find a citgo and get the gas with no ethanol in it. just helps. try taking off the negative battery cable and letting the computer reset itself. just my .02$

tried that. didn't work. I can not find a reg check engine light any where on there. I have talked to alot of people every one thinks it is the O2 sensor. I looked at it tonight it is OLD as crap i can tell that. looks like it has never been replaced.. I will get a new one as soon as i get the 50 bucks it cost.

No light? Take the dash apart(takes 5 minutes) and replace that bulb. Either someone took it out or it burned out!

maybe i am looking in the wrong place where is the check engine light on a 1990 i do not see one at all.

i have taken the whole dash apart i have no standard check engine light. there is a light for oil, water temp, bat, one says full time, one says part time, one for seat belts, and one with a arrow pointing up, and two others but not one with check engine or a little engine what am i missing here?

O2 sensor sounds like a likey cantidate, but they more often fail lean than rich.
There is no key code for the Renix type XJ's 87-90, the OBD 1 series XJ's (post 90 through 97, I think) have stored codes that can be read on the CEL.
Is the black coating oil or just soot, rub a little between your fingers, smell the plugs.
Check the vacuum line for your MAP sensor, rub your fingers along the bottom and feel for a rub through. If you remove it be careful they get old and brittle. Make sure the MAP vacuum line is plugged into the right hole in the rubber plug on the side of the TB. Make sue the hole for the MAP vacuum goes all the way through the side of the TB and isn't pluged, the same withe MAP vacuum line.
Next best guess might be the MAT sensor or the Engine temp. sensor on the lower right side of the block. A quick test is to do an ohm test on a cold motor (taht has been sitting overnight, the resistance for the engine temp, sensor and the MAT sensor should be the same or very near. The two sensor should have the same ohm values at the same temperature.

the stuff on the plugs is soot. it is running so rich that it will not do any thing but foul out the plugs so i gave up on it last week and took it to a shop they have had it for a week and have no clue what the BLANK BLANK it is doing, or what is causing it to do it.

got it fixed took it to a shop the problem was a bad map censer and a bad coolant censer and a couple vacuum hoses on wrong.

Back